Belle of Georgia Peach

mrsg47
9 years ago

Hopefully I'll have my first white Peaches this year! Mrs. G

{{gwi:97873}}

Comments (14)

• lkz5ia
    9 years ago

Looks like how mine was blooming last year, 20 some pounds of fruit, but now this spring it may be dead, winter wasn't too friendly to my peach trees.

• Adrift-in-beauty
    9 years ago

Mines not even half that full and its loaded with tiny peaches

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Only my Italian Prune Plum has ever bloomed this profusely. I have about 50-60 blossoms on my Elberta. Seven on my Shui Mi Tao (hoping at least one will hold) and about twenty on my Early Crawford. I hope my only problem is thinning! Mrs. G

Ikz5ia 20 lbs of fruit? Holy cow. Do white peaches make good jam? Mrs. G

This post was edited by MrsG47 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 13:46

• olpea
    9 years ago

Beautiful bloom Mrs. G. I wish all my trees bloomed like that this year.

I like the way you are trying to get that tree down too.

You might consider making some "hinge" cuts near the base of those scaffolds to pull them down some. I wouldn't do it this year, but maybe early next spring. Sometimes I shorten the scaffolds when I pull them down with hinge cuts, so the wind doesn't break the scaffold off (Hinge cuts make the scaffold weak until the hinge cuts heal over.)

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Olpea, I took this picture for you! I am trying to keep it low and all of the branches that now look bare are filling with leaves and growing well. The copper really works as none of my peach trees have plc. That makes me sooo happy! Can't wait for shuck split as it it time to spray. Its all starting! Love spring! Mrs. G

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Nice!

My pruning advice is those places that have a lot of 1' shoots coming out which look like an upside-down broom, I would thin out about half of those. The leaves are going to get really dense in there and can harbor diseases.

Scott

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Scott thanks so much I was wondering what to do with the brooms? Now I know. They'll be thinned tomorrow. Good, another thing done. Whew!!! Mrs. G

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

That is no Belle of Georgia, IMO- the flowers are too showy. White Lady has flowers like that as do a couple other newer whites I know of.

After viewing Olpea's peach photos, I've come to believe that spreading is better than pruning to achieve an open center for peach tree (that was always my assumption for other species).

It looks like you are trying to open up the tree with bench cuts while Olpea ties the branches to horizontal- not that your approach can't work, but I believe you are going to lose growth at the inside of the tree if you don't get things spread out more and settle on 3 scaffolds to create and open center tree.

Make sure the vigorous growth on top of the tree doesn't excessively shade the lower interior by pruning during the growing season.

• Adrift-in-beauty
    9 years ago

Can u guys check mine out plz ... it was an impulse buy at walmart .. i bought her three months ago and later found out florida is not zoned for semi draft bella of Georgia .... she was grown in g.a so i think the peaches willl be ok cause this year cause she had enough chill hours up there. How does it look to you .. she has cute lil peaches all ready

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm. Not a Belle of Georgia? I googled pictures of both blossoms and nothing definitively comes up. H-man are you positive it is a 'White Lady' peach? The blossoms look a bit more like apple blossoms than the narrower pink blossoms on all of my other peaches. It is not a double blossom, singe but rather large. Funny but the blooms on my Elberta, Early Crawford and Shui Mi Tao peaches all look alike. There is a slight difference in the depth of pink. Mrs. G Oh brother!

• olpea
    9 years ago

I wouldn't let it bother you too much Mrs. G. Belle of Georgia is not that great a white peach anyway (I wish I could remember what the flowers of the Belle of Georgia looked like. I got rid of it without ever taking a pic.)

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I looked up White Lady Peach and it is far, far better than Belle of Georgia. I guess I lucked out unknowingly. Oh well, I was shocked by the beautiful blossoms. As long as the peach is cling free, I'm happy (and that it is sweet and tastes like a peach!) Mrs. G

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

I remember well what BG blossoms look like since I only finally cut mine down last fall. Peach trees have two distinct sizes of blossoms- one or the other, relatively large and showy or smaller and wispy. There is a range from pale pink to much darker red centers.

I do not KNOW at all that the tree is White Lady, only that it has similar sized blossoms- I chose that one as an example because it is also a white and fairly common. It bears in about Red Havens season, though, while GB is just a bit ahead of Elberta.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After the tree fruits I'll take another pic. Mrs. G