Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to remove green ties from stake?

Posted by thebordella 10 (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 13:01

Hi,

Apologies if this is a remedial question -- I'm new to this. I just planted a small avocado tree from a big box store. It came in a 5 gallon container with a support stake. It has those green ties to support the tree.

When should I remove them? Do they hinder the little tree's growth? I just transplanted the tree out of the container it came in, but I'm not sure how to know how long it needs the support stake.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to remove green ties from stake?

Thebordella,

I would just leave the green ties and support until the tree rooted well. The green ties are stretchy and you can remove them in the fall. If your place is too windy then you may need a bigger support next year.

Tony

o
RE: When to remove green ties from stake?

I don't like those stakes that run straight up the trunk. They don't allow the tree trunk to gain strength. They are like a crutch. Sometimes you need a crutch (high winds, etc) but if it can do without I would. Regardless I would pull the stake out and if it has trouble standing on its own set the stake away from the trunk and use something to tie the stake to the trunk where there is a little give so the tree thickens/strengthens its trunk up.

While we are at it avocados don't like wet feet or our CA clay (I'm assuming zone 10 you are SoCal). You may want to mound it up or make a raised bed for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here