Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myk1_gw

Plum Curculio and Apple Maggot Fly

myk1
14 years ago

Yes Virginia, traps do work. No scent, just red and sticky.

Although there is a fresh coat of Spectracide Triazicide that seems to work on curculio this was much more satisfying.

Now all I need is a good picture of a trapped codling moth to complete my collection. I think I trapped them last year but once they're covered in tanglefoot they're not identifiable. I could've got a picture of a codling moth worm last year but it was having too easy of a time swimming around in the sticky to run for the camera.

Plum Curculio caught sometime between last night and this morning.

{{gwi:97892}}

Apple Maggot fly caught sometime last summer, they don't seem to be flying yet this year.

{{gwi:97893}}

Comments (8)

• joe-il
    14 years ago

Ya they are out in force now. Was inspecting apples today and found one. You'll never guess what happened to it. :) They are hitting one tree hard. Im near rockford Il.

Question: I have some old full size trees (planted 1978) 2 Earliblaze and a Mac That I just started working on. I have one spray (bonide , ya I know + immunex) at petal fall. Which here, was last week. (sprayed last sunday) No rain since I sprayed, Im I still protected? Rain moving in mid next week so would like to spray again then (after rain). How long is a spray effective for?

Thoughts on what I should do.

Nice pic, ugly bastages aint they? Can you get tanglefoot locally or just online?

(sorry for the slight threadjacking)

Joe

• myk1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Petal fall last week in Rockford? Wow, that's a good 2 weeks later than me and I'm only down by Peoria.

I don't think Bonide Fruit tree spray would be that effective on curculio even if the Sevin and Malathion were in higher doses.

It did seem to do a fair job stopping further codling moth hits and a good job keeping the apple maggot at bay last year. But my bugs are wimpy formerly organic bugs :)

That Spectracide Triazicide Once and Done is effective on the curculio, Walmart should have it. What hits I've got since spraying it are either a crescent that is too shallow to have worked or drunken blobs in the spot the curculio tends to hit for me.
    It easily lasted the last 2 weeks, I'm pretty sure we've had some good rains since then.

My plan is to use the Triazicide until late June when the curculio should be done and the first wave of codling moth has passed and then switch to Malathion (unless the straight malathion injures my McIntosh and Cortland too much then I'll go back to the Bonide and live with the drops it causes me).

I have a question for you on the EarliBlaze is it a sour apple? I just planted one and haven't found many end user reports about it.

• myk1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got the tanglefoot locally.

I got a big bucket of the tree wrap barrier instead of the smaller tube of trap coating. I don't know if they're different but the new stuff is different than my old can.

• joe-il
    14 years ago

Hey thanks for the advice. Im new as you can tell.

Ya 2 weeks behind sounds about right. We got a late light frost last saturday. didnt look like it hurt the apples any, took out tomato plants though.

How are you trees looking? We actually had a good spring here bloom was long some what warm albeit rainy at times. Trees were loaded with blooms, they seem to be starting the drop maybe the bonide helped that along. Not a bad thing on full size trees. lol

Earliblaze is suppose to be the "first pie apple of the season". I would imagine that would mean tart. Fruit in august I think. This would be the first year of getting anything edible off these trees, so its all new to me.

• myk1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I bought the EarliBlaze hoping it was sour based on the first pie apple description. But seller descriptions aren't always accurate. I've read sweet-tart from other sources. I'm hoping for extremely tart or I'm going to have to squeeze a Newtown Pippin in somewhere.

I had a heavy bloom but I think rain and clouds kept the pollinators at bay.
    Fruit set is very tolerable on the espaliers which I'm experimenting with early thinning. It could be a lot better on the Arkansas Black but it still should have a nice amount.

Too much rain is giving me iron deficiency symptoms but now it's starting to look like the same leaves are starting to show some kind of disease.

• olpea
    14 years ago

Myk,

I don't use tanglefoot anymore, but a trick I've heard (but never tried) is to put a clear plastic bag over the clean ball. Then heat the tanglefoot up in the microwave to get it warm. Smear it over the bag. When it gets clogged up with insects, take the bag off and throw away. Beats trying to clean the ball. Also have heard of red coca cola cans being used as traps. Coat with sticky and throw away after done.

• joe-il
    14 years ago

The Plum Curculio really hit the earliblaze hard. Left the other trees alone for the most part.

How do you determine if the crescent is too shallow to have laid eggs in it? most hits look like this

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:97891}}

• myk1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

olpea,
    I originally wrapped my balls with plastic wrap, I think I ended up getting more sticky on my hands dealing with the plastic than I do scraping the balls.
    As long as a tornado doesn't blow them out of the trees mine don't get too covered through the year so it's only a once a year thing.

joe-il,
    I can tell that one is deep from the picture. It's more than a surface blemish and some of the skin is lifted.
    I never had the shallow crescent blemishes I'm seeing with the Triazicide before.
    It was rare for me to not have a crescent bit fruit fall very early with organic or Orchard spray.

If your curculio are also two weeks behind me you haven't seen the worst of it. I'm starting to see some deep hits and my Northstar cherry is pretty much wiped out.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner