Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry bed protection

Posted by andyinnyc 6/NJ (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 13:08

I have a pair of strawberry beds located outside the fenced garden. They are doing really well considering that we haven't seen the sun (it seems) in weeks.

However, as the berries start to ripen, and even as the plants get more 'tasty', I'll need to protect them from deer, chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits and mice.

Last year I covered both beds with Agri-Bond row covers. The benefit is that these provide a complete blanket to keep the squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits and birds out. The downside is that they filter a lot of light that could go towards ripening the berries.

Choice two is to go with bird netting. This has the downside of potentially allowing the little #%*#!!% to chew through the netting (as the chipmunks do with my blueberries), wiggle through if they are small enough or eat what they can reach by landing on top or stepping near. Another issue is that I have had small animals become tangled in the past which is a bother to them and me.

Next year I'd like to get a mesh box built with hinged covers. Even then I'd need to decide on a hole size which could allow the bees in but keep out the mice, etc.

Thoughts? The kids are looking forward to ripe, unmolested berries.

Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry bed protection

Your beds look great. Have you tried laying down a repellant around the beds like Plantskydd Deer Repellant? I live out in the sticks and we have deer galore. I use it on my things (and I have quite a variety) and so far so good. It is supposed to be effective if allowed to dry around 5 hours before a rain and stay working for a long while. It repells smaller varmits as well.

Good Luck!

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 23, 13 at 16:46

How about chicken wire?

With the support pipes you have, you could take care of the entire bed in minutes.

o

Well, I guess chicken wire is a stronger form of bird netting. It does rust, cut little kids, doesn't bend to get out of the way for picking, etc.

Does the chicken wire typically have holes small enough to keep chipmunks out?

Where's a good place that I might have locally to find chicken wire? The beds are 14 x 4.

Andrew

o

It also seems that chicken wire doesn't run in wide enough lengths to go over everything and be anchored to the ground.

Are there wider than 48" widths available?

Andrew

o

Try nylon net or tulle. They let in almost 100% light and you could cover your bed in 60 seconds with that piping in place.

o

You can get/order chicken wire in various opening sizes, down to 1/2", which should be small enough to keep most rodents and out. Same for widths of the roll; I believe 5 and 6' are available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here