Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can anyone speak to the flavor of Rubus leucodermis?

Posted by davidrt28 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 13:11

Those of you in the PNW may be aware of this native species.

According to Mentalfloss and a few other internet sources, this is the source of the flavor known as "blue raspberry". Produced synthetically nowadays, of course. There used to be a foodie-type blog with a longer story of its purported discovery: something like a flavor chemist who was out in the woods and tasted some, and thought "gee whiz, we better figure out what makes these tick". But I can no longer find that link. Do they really taste like blue raspberry slurpees, popsicles, etc?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can anyone speak to the flavor of Rubus leucodermis?

Yes, I have come across this plant and berry infrequently in the mid-elevations of OR and WA. The berry tastes very similar to a standard garden-variety black-cap black raspberry.

Once incorporated into a slurpee or popsicle, I cannot image a person could tell the difference from R. occidentalis, the commercial blackcap.

o

OK, I think I see what you're saying here. As an easterner I've probably never had a "commercial black-cap black raspberry", but you mean that commercial fruit also is similar to the artificial "blue raspberry"? Well, great...now curious to try one in the garden. The Himalayan bramble is quite happy to be a weed here so it's hard to imagine a PNW cultivar should have too much trouble with our hot summers.

o

Oh...wait...now I see the commercial one is actually native to the east but more commonly grown for commerce in Oregon. Figures. I'll have to seek out a pick-your-own somewhere near me to find these elusive black raspberries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here