Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OK to let newly grafted mulberry set fruit?

Posted by alexander3 6 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 14 at 13:13

I grafted a mulberry a few weeks ago with 'Illinois Everbearing' scion. I'm seeing flowers forming on the growing scion, and was wondering if it would be OK to let it produce some fruit. I wouldn't let an apple or pawpaw do that for fear of the graft breaking or slowing down the new growth, but mulberry fruit aren't very heavy, and I'm hard pressed to think of a more vigorous tree!

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OK to let newly grafted mulberry set fruit?

A year ago a m/b graft here did the same thing, and I let it grow so as to get a quick sample of what kind of fruit the scion would produce. It was really a poor tasting but big-enough berry. I hoped that a year of additional growing would p o s s I b l y p o s s I b l y give the scion a chance to "be all that it could be". Well, the added year of growth resulted in more of the same exact berries. You lose some, you lose some.

o
RE: OK to let newly grafted mulberry set fruit?

It's very demanding on many fruits to bear on new scions too soon, and can set the growth of the scion back badly- but I can't speak to mulberries specifically. On my apple and pear trees I automatically pinch these off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here