Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ant problem

Posted by sara7worthington 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 13:16

My raised strawberry bed has a growing ant coloy in it. Does sevin take care of this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ant problem

I have found that coffee grounds and mint both deter ants from my raised beds.

Used coffee grounds are easier to add to the beds if you dry them out first. Lay them on a paper towel overnight and they will be ready to go the next day. Just sprinkle them around the strawberries.

You can also plant mint, but be careful because it can take over a garden. I use a clay pot that I sink into the ground to create a barrier for the root so it can't take over.

o
RE: ant problem

For a lot of ants mixing 2 parts sugar to 1 part 20 mule team borax (laundry additive) with enough water to dissolve the sugar works incredibly well. If you put it in a jar lid sunk in the ground with a square of paper towel in it they will cover the paper towel sucking up the liquid and take it back to the nest and in a couple days that colony is dead. Rewet the paper as needed. If you have pets you can put a bit of hardware cloth around the lid so the pups can't get to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here