Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackberry and Raspberry Report (late Spring 2014)

Posted by jtburton 6A/6b (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 14 at 13:16

Though I would report out on my berry progress. Let me know how your blackberries and raspberries are coming along. I'm in Northern Kentucky (zone 6a/6b).

Blackberries
-Triple Crown (year 3) : Vigorous growth. About 30% bloomed. No berries. New growth up to 4ft.
-Black Satin (year 2) : Moderate growth. Not blooming yet. New growth up to 3ft.
-Oauchita (year 2) - Vigorous growth. About 70% bloomed. Green berries. New growth up to 5ft.
-Marion (year 3) - Vigorous growth. About 90% bloomed. Green berries with a hint of red. New growth up to 5ft. (2 plants with 4 canes: good for Marion).
-Siskiyou (year 2) : Very vigorous growth. About 90% bloomed. Green berries with a hint of red. New growth up to 5ft. 2 plants with 5-6 canes per plant. : inch diameter canes but only one berry per fruiting lateral on most of the plant: probably influenced by plant maturity.
-Columbia Star (year 1) - Moderate growth from TC plant. Just starting to send out multiple canes but only about a couple of inches tall.
-Newberry (year 1) : Mixed growth. One plant is very vigorous the other basically restarted from a TC size. Vigorous plant has three green berries. Growth about 2ft on vigorous plant.
-Loganberry (year 3) : Mixed growth but trending to vigorous. Plants seem to do fine in less than desirable soil. Green berries with red tint. Canes up to 3ft on one plant but closer to 2ft on the others.
-Wild Treasure (year 3) : Slower growth but I kind of abused the plant. It:s growth and has several berries that are turning red. About 1ft of new growth but plant looks reasonably healthy now.
-Prime Ark 45 (year) : Very vigorous growth. Suffered a lot of winter damage to last year:s canes but sprout new fruiting laterals that are up to 3ft long. A few primocanes are reaching 6ft and have been summer pruned. Won:t let them get as tall as last year because of risk of wind damage.
-Black Diamond (year 3) : Moderate to vigorous growth. 5 canes this year only one last year. Canes are around 3ft long. Much bigger and healthier plant this year. No berries. Lost last year:s growth to cane borers but treated plant with insecticide this year for protection.
-Boysenberries (year 3) : Started with vigorous growth but soon developed either septoria leaf spot or anthracnose again. Then spread it to surrounding plants. Decided to remove them due to susceptibility to disease and as a risk to other nearby plants. Kept two other smaller boysenberry plants in pots and they have green berries but are much smaller in size.
-Von (year 1) : Planted about a month ago and all of the bareroot plants failed to grow. Dug one up to check on its progress but it appears dead. Maybe bad bareroot plants : have never had this happen before.

Raspberries
-Anne (year 2) : moderate growth. New canes are up to 3ft. Blooming at 50%. Early small berries are present (2nd year canes). Still having some winter damage impact. Some over wintered canes sprout leaves then died. Will switch to primocane only cropping this year.
-Caroline (year 2) : moderate growth. New canes are up to 3ft. Blooming at 75%. Early small berries are present (2nd year canes). Will switch to primocane only cropping this year.
-Double Gold (year 2) : was TC plant last fall but had enough growth to fruit out. New canes are slow growers at about 2ft. Blooming at 75%. These are trial plants. Not sure I will keep them long term.
-Jewel Black Raspberry (year 2) : vigorous growth. Each plant has 4-6 canes which are much more than last year and the canes are much thicker. Started summer pruning canes as the reach 3ft. 100% bloomed and berries are green.
-Mac Black Raspberry (year 2) : moderate growth. Each plant has 3-4 canes which are more than last year and the canes are thicker. 25% bloomed. Canes are approaching 3ft but have not pruned yet.
-Royalty Purple Raspberry (year 2) : vigorous growth. Multiple canes present per plant location. Canes are approaching 4ft. Blooms are at 50%. White / early berry stage.
-Cascade Delight (year 2) : vigorous growth. Raspberry bed has filled in and blooms are at 50% with berries on some. Canes are over 3ft.
-Wineberry (year 2) - moderate growth. winter killed all canes from last year. New growth up to 2.5ft.

Berry Patch Issues.
- Some yellowed lower leaves on most plants. I'm thinking it is a sign of heat and/or water stress.
- Leaf spot (either septoria or anthracnose) showed up after the first several days at or over 80F. It was really bad on the boysenberries. Some also showed up on Kotata and Siskiyou as well. This typically isn't an issue for any of the erect and semi-erect varieties.
- Insects. A couple of tobacco worms, a few stink bugs, a few red neck cane borers (now that I know what they look like), and leaf hoppers.
- Pollinators. Mainly bumblebees and mason bees. Almost no honey bees.
- Birds. Purchased a large roll of Plantra bird netting to cover the berries. So much better than the cheap stuff from the big box stores.
- Rabbits. None so far.
-Squirrels. No real damage but they keep digging holes in my beds looking for nuts I guess.
-Water. With the warmer weather and less rain, I started the drip irrigation this week. Rain seems to be hit or miss.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackberry and Raspberry Report (late Spring 2014)

I finally figured out what has been chewing new protocanes the last 2 years: A rogue squirrel. It bit through my plastic chicken wire surrounds before I knew what animal it was. Left nice tiny mesh pieces laying about, then chewed off the protocane. So far hardware cloth surrounds have been effective.

Last year's oddly leafing Obsidian is setting berries nicely.

o

My two Obsidian blackberry plants were consumed by voles during the winter and died. I guess that was a lesson learned.

o

The only blackberries I have are Marion's, but they are mostly pollinated as well. I usually get 3-4 canes per plant at the point but mine are in year 5 or 6. Thry took years to take off.

My summer golds are almost ready to start ripening which is nuts (spring had been much warmer than normal), mine is a first year planted but obviously second year canes. My summer reds that are 6 years old are 8 feet tall and full of berries. I have a giant berry summer variety that are more normal 6 feet, and fall that are growing great as well.

Unfortunately I never kept track of names. And now my beds are a mixed up hodgepodge. But all fruiting well. Normally we don't see raspberries til July but it's going to be early this year due to more sun and temps at 70-80.

Problems have been yellowing leaves due to overcrowding (my fault, as I staked them back too closely and they were missing sun) I let them loose and it seems to be gone, I have typically not watered my raspberries much but will probably need to this year due to light rain.

I see mason and honey bees (neighbor is a bee keeper) so in that I am lucky!

o

jburton, thanks for the report. Did you protect the berries over the winter? If not I am surprised you did not have more damage. I am not going to get many berries this year since I lost most of the canes over the winter. All the western berries lost most of their canes. Only Triple Crown did OK.

I have been having leaf spot problems and I put down lime sulphur this spring to try to set that back a bit. I also have been having cane borer problems and that is one reason why I lost a lot of canes over the winter. I would like to figure out a way to dig them out without killing the cane. Its obvious where they are hanging out so maybe a slit in the cane would do them in.

Scott

o

North Central Ohio. Severe winter. -20F.
Triple crown blackberries in pots stored in unheated workshop: Alive and growing well, but severe die back on last year's growth. 2014 crop lost
Thorny boysenberry in pot stored in unheated workshop: Alive and growing well, but severe die back on last year's growth. 2014 Crop lost.
Prelude red raspberries. Around 1/2 the canes died.
Caroline Red raspberries. Removed canes late last fall. About half the patch is showing new growth. So many of the roots died too.

I grow strawberries, red raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, plums, and sweet cherries. For 2014 my cherry and plum crops are a total loss. I won't get enough strawberries, summer red raspberries, or blackberries to bother to harvest. The blueberries look ok, but we'll see. The fall red raspberry harvest will be marginal at best.

o

Scott,

I covered the western trailing blackberries (logan, marion, kotata, siskiyou, black diamond, obsidian, and boysen) with Agribon-50 row covers. I also had marion, logan, wild treasure, and boysen in pots with a plastic sheet covering them under my deck. The siskiyou and kotata didn't have any winter damage but did have some damage from cane borers. I also benefited from a decent snow cover for a good part of the winter (my area went to at least -5F about 5 times… -7F or -8F was the lowest). I lost one potted 1yr marion and a potted sylvan that I neglected plus the 2 planted obsidian that voles ate…not sure why they picked that variety. The rest had some level of cold damage but all survived.

Cane borers were the most destructive agent in my berry patch last year, especially on the trailing varieties. They did infect several of my triple crown and ouchita but I have enough of those varieties that it probably won’t impact production much. I finally found some of the red necked cane borers on the plants (actually found one this morning) and they are really small…surprising that they (or their larva) cause such damage to a blackberry cane. I tried using a small drill bit to bore out a small hole on the borer gall to see if I could kill the larva this spring. I also cut open a number of infected canes looking for the larva and never spotted one. I did wonder that if you used some sort of tape, you could tape around the gall area and prevent the larva from escaping and then burn the cane once you get the fruit from it, assuming it does not kill the cane first. Either way, they are a real bummer.

My erect and semi erect blackberries and all of my raspberries look to have a nearly full harvest and none of those were covered. I think this last winter was a good hardiness test for a lot of these varieties.

I used lime sulfur this spring for the first time on my former boysenberry plants and on blueberries. In hindsight, I should have sprayed everything down with it. It didn’t seem to make much difference with the boysenberries but in all fairness, I did not do a good job cleaning up the dead leaves around the boysens. Either way, I removed all of the planted boysens because for the last three years they get completely saturated with leaf spot fungus (septoria and/or anthracnose) when other plants don’t.

I’m including a current photo of one of my planted marions with four canes.

o

I have only a few blackberry blooms this year. The -16 night knocked out all the peach and plum blossoms.
Strawberries [picking nice berries now] and raspberries are in very good shape. Blueberries have only a few berries. English Walnut blooms appear to be missing this year after a vintage year last year.

This post was edited by wayne_5 on Sat, May 31, 14 at 12:47

o

Hi All...i have mixed news with Raspberries, my Summer bearing
varieties, Newburgh, Coho, Taylor took a big hit this winter as only the lower halves of Newburgh, Taylor have growth and some berries growing ...Coho which i've been trying to grow for 3 years is not very healthy overall, so last winter killed 99% of the canes that wintered and looks like i'll get no berries at all, however all these plants are suckering like crazy !, as far as the newest plantings from last Fall and this spring all are Everbearing varieties, here's how they are doing

Josephine: Growing like crazy as i just planted it last October from Lowes, looks like a strong vigorous plant.

Double Gold: Was a 2 inch plug from Burpee i planted last Fall, has upwards of maybe 8 suckers already, tremendous growth since warm weather and i see at least 1 berry on last years growth, expect a great Fall Crop.

Nantahala: Same 2 inch plug i got from Gurney's last October went in and wintered fine, a little slow to get going but this is a late variety so i guess it's on schedule.

Crimson Giant: same thing again, 2 inch plugs that don't look like much but some nice growth and suckers on these, i have about 5 berries growing on last years growth on 1 plant, didn't expect that to produce so quickly so this is the latest Fall cropping variety from Cornell which is giving me berries this early so i'm expecting good things from Crimson Giant's.

Jaclyn: Picked up a 1 year old at Home Depot for kick's just to see how this variety fares, i'm getting a lot of growth upwards now on 3 suckers that came up, i don't think i'll get a summer crop as the growth on last years wood in minimal but i expect the Fall crop to put out as this looks very healthy.

Polka: I have several Polka plants i put in the ground this Spring, one just started suckering late, another was a replacement plant that Raintree sent me and started suckering in 4 day's, within a week i have 2 inches of growth which is phenomenal, i also have a potted Polka plant i got from Lowes this Spring and it has quite a few berries growing on it now, expect harvest in about 2-3 weeks.

Caroline:...just started getting some growth on my new spring planting, with at least 2 suckers growing and the birds came in one day and dug up my Caroline plant so i lost it, another coming.

Autumn Britten: ...by far the most impressive raspberry i've planted to date, just planted it this Spring and already have about 10 healthy suckers growing around 6-8 inches tall some and thick, i heard this was a great producer and looks like it.

Prelude: I' not sure if Prelude is a hybrid or not or classified as Primocane variety in that it can Double Crop unlike Summer Bearing, but i picked up a Prelude plant at Lowes this Spring and it has dozens of berries growing on it about 1-2 weeks out from Harvesting......this is a very hearty plant as the suckers have already outgrown the original plant in less than a month, i expect great things from Prelude this year.

Heritage:.....i have a Heritage potted plant from last year that didn't fruit, but this spring several suckers have come up around the crown and look good for this Fall .

Kiwi Gold:... Picked up a couple of these from American Meadows and planted them around April 18th, with some berries growing on last years growth, not much but suckers coming up on 1 plant already.

Fall Gold:...put a couple of these in the ground on April 11th and i have berries growing on 1 plant from last years growth, not much but suckering around crowns too.

Anne:...had an Anne from Home Depot that died shortly after i planted it outside, had to order a replacement from Gurney's that i just planted, looked very healthy rootwise, with a nice shoot forming, should break ground in a week or two.

Navajo Blackberries: I have some i cut back to 4 feet last winter and the plants are blossoming and fruiting is on it's way, many berries on these.

Apache Blackberry:....i planted one of these from Lowes as i couldn't help myself, heard great things about Apache, so far this plant has many berries on the way from last years growth, one sucker is twice as tall as the mother plant in less than a month, very vigorous.

Aronia Berry: ...not a bramble but i have one that is putting out it's first berries this year, wintered ok and growth is normal.

Finding out this year that Summer Bearing varieties are risky if you live in New York and Bad Winter set's in, crop loss is unrecoverable and waiting that whole year again for fruit to bear is a long wait, many people are opting for cutting Everbearing canes to the ground yearly just to salvage the harvest, now i see why.

Don't have that option with Summer Bearing Varieties.

Included here is a Autumn Britten plant i got from Raintree 4-18-14', planted that day...tremendous growth so far, wish all my plants did that well.

This post was edited by Greenhorn2 on Sat, May 31, 14 at 14:16

o

Cascade Delight raspberries started from rootstock last year. They survived the winter uncovered with little winter damage and they are growing well now in their second year. These should be good to at least a hardiness zone 6b and possibly 6a. These plants tolerated -7F.

o

My Black Diamond never came back since the fall, as a tiny little plant put in then. Bummer. Bad winter here, which I certainly wasn't expecting. I'm surprised my teeny things did well, and with zero protection!

My Cherokee blackberry is threatening to take over the universe, but bringing lots of berries :D He's older, grew all last year.

Otherwise, this year I hope to see some Caroline raspberries and an Italian variety whose name I forget and lost the tag. Also maybe Prime Ark blackberries later, eh? That's so cool.

My others are also quite new and will take another year to see any fruit. They are all growing great except that one I really, really wanted: the Black Diamond. I got that instead of Marion, so y'all please tell me if it doesn't taste like Marionberry, because I won't replace it if it doesn't. I thought it would be easier to grow here than a real Marion.

The ones I have that will just grow, not fruit, this year are: Tayberry, Natchez BB, Boysenberry, Loganberry. My favorites are the rasp/blackberry crosses. They are all growing nicely, even after the awful winter (for us, not so very cold to others).

I also have tons of new wild blackberries that really got tall this spring, but they had just appeared in an untended area near the woods in the sun. I'll go on and taste them before I decide to try to clear out most of them. The birds will get to feast on those along with me this year, at least :) They have berries coming on them this year, but I swear they weren't very big last year, lol. They are quite tall since the spring!

o

Here's my 3 year old black diamond blackberry. I had berries on it last year but the taste was not outstanding...nothing like maronberry. That was the first fruiting year, so the flavor may get better. It has been a really slow grower and last year had only one cane that was about 2ft long. Cane borers ruined it and I as about to just remove it but decided to trim it back to the crown and see what happened this year. It has taken off (well, relative to its growth rate) and has five canes this year that are already longer than last year. There are several people on the forum that really like black diamond, so don't let me discourage you from trying it again.

o

Wild blackberries starting to blossom - very prolific. Raspberries seem a little behind - flower buds just starting to open. Tore out a lot of the wild blackberries last year due to SWD, but left the ones in full sun and buried in the woods.

Cultivated berries:

Encore and Killarney raspberries planted bare root 2012 had small harvest 2013 but many were bleached from the sun (heat wave July). Suckering quite well, glad to see it since 1 of the original 5 Encore didn't make it in 2012, filling in that row now. Some growing outside the row, but mostly well-behaved and staying in the mound. Starting to get flower buds - even the Encore, to my surprise.

Unknown fall-bearing raspberry got on Freecycle suckering like crazy, I started another row just by digging and moving the shoots still attached to mother plants. Dug some up entirely, they didn't transplant well. Still others discarded b/c they were coming up 2 rows over. Hope this doesn't become a problem. They were spreading in the lady's lawn, but didn't look like they were going THAT far from bed.

Triple Crown blackberry tip-rooted and growing shoots, some tip-rooted earlier last summer are well established, others later (early fall) are not so established and I've left them attached. Covered canes (the entire length) with multiple layers of burlap and didn't lose any during this bitter cold winter. Lots of leaves, some nice laterals, but no flower buds yet(?).

Blueberries (not sure if OP intended to include them) - Patriot, Legacy, and Bluecrop transplanted from 2 gal pots 2012 - not much growth, leaves seem twisted, no flowers. Planted them near some wild (lowbush) ones that have always done well, not sure what the problem is since sun, soil should be good for highbush as well? They did get a bit drenched in a monsoon April 2012 2 days after purchase, I took them out of pots and let them dry a little (and let the ground dry) before transplanting but they were looking a little rough, maybe they've never recovered? Did have a few flowers (I pinched) last year. They were flowering when we bought them, but after the rain most of the flowers fell off, a few developed into berries that year. Maybe we should have taken those flowers off too?

My (late) great-uncle's blueberries were almost fully formed the last time I stopped by the house a couple of weeks ago. I didn't prune them this spring - and the patch really needs to be weeded.

Wild blueberries are forming, lowbush almost fully formed, highbush not quite.

June-bearing strawberries (another 2012 Freecycle find) have spread quite a bit, lots of green berries now, hope to harvest in a couple of weeks. Ate my first wild strawberry of the season yesterday ;-)

o

Here Black Diamond fruit have a taste and aroma similar to Marion, more so than Black Satin or Triple Crown.

o

Several berries are now ripening so I had a little taste test this evening:

Loganberry = tart..even when purple...maybe it doesn't ripen well in my climate
Boysenberry = tart...but slightly fuller flavor than logan
Siskiyou blackberry = first taste today... very good but I'll give the next one another day of ripening. Second best trailing variety I have tasted after Marion and a very large berry.
Double Gold Raspberry = good flavor but different than Anne Raspberry
Caroline Raspberry (floricane crop) = very good taste...glad I kept them
KaBluey Blueberry = very good, just like they describe it...sweet with a hint of peach or apricot flavor
Reka Blueberry = tangy...might need to let it ripen more

Ready to taste (again) by this weekend:
Marionberry - some just turning purple
Jewel and Blackhawk black raspberries now turning black
Newberry...only one berry left so I bagged it... should be ready by end of weekend.

o

Mine are forming berries but nothing ripe. Hey on Caroline, I liked that one too. Prelude and Polka were as good. I thought Prelude was the best red I tasted. I have a number of plants i didn't taste, I will this year! Taylor, Encore, Rosanna, and some yellows.
Niwot black rspberry was added this year, cool, an everbearing black! it's growing well!
Allen black raspberry is growing like crazy, it will be one of the first ripe. It has hundreds of berries. it is more like a blackberry, the new primocanes are already 6 feet tall and as thick as my thumb. Here is one floricane (of 4 or 5 the plant has).

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 23:50

o

Drew51,

Did you summer tip your Allen's? I summer tipped my black raspberries when they were about 4ft and they are now pushing out laterals.

Also, I had a few blackberries this morning from my potted marion. Still had the rich, sweet-tart flavor... still my favorite. I hope next season the Columbia Star blackberries taste as good as they are rated.

I'm still waiting on trying kotata, black satin, Ouachita, cascade delight along with a number of blueberry varieties.

o

JBurton, I would not use color as the main guide for ripening; it sounds like you picked the Logans far too early as they are not that sour when ripe. Look for a dull look (like a satin finish paint) on the berries. Also, keep a few hanging well past what you think is fully ripe, even keeping a few until some start breaking apart. Then you will be able to fix the best picking time.

o

Yes, I tipped the blacks. This year though, all of a sudden they are 6 feet tall, like almost overnight! I have not had a chance to cut them back. Currently they are growing straight up like jack's beanstalk! When I did tip many new laterals headed towards the ground, it rooted 5 or 6 times last summer. It grows so fast, I didn't see the rooted laterals until they had a huge root ball! An amazingly fast growing plant!

My Loganberry didn't survive the winter. I may replace it down the road, but with others coming in and such, not anytime soon.

o

4 blackberry varieties

Kiowa-very productive, started ripening a week ago, susceptible to some leaf spotting disease that eventually kills the cane. As scottsmith noted above, these aren't ripe until they are dull black, no longer shiny. Must be summer tipped multiple times.

Apache-crowns produce very vigorous canes and new canes from runners. Very productive. Gets white drupes. Started ripening today, but looks like its going to be ripening over a few week period. Good flavor. Must be summer tipped multiple times

Navaho-not as productive as kiowa or apache. Some crowns died last year. Much smaller berries. Better flavor than kiowa or apache. Looks like it will ripen in about a week.

ouchita-First year of production. Berries appear to be somewhere in size between navaho and apache. Not putting out many new canes. Looks like they'll be ripe in about 10 days.

polka red raspberry-an experiment. Crowns planted last fall. Many canes this year, some berries. I'd like to find a good tasting raspberry that's productive in this climate, because they are so expensive at the grocery. If anyone has ideas let me know.

o

Polka is a good one to try, may not be good for your environment. Excellent flavor. The raspberry that takes heat the best, can be grown in San Diego in the shade is Bababerry.

o

Thanks for the answers on Marionberries compared to Black Diamonds, y'all :)

My Cherokee blackberries are ripening now. They are HUGE! And very yummy, sweeter than grocery-store blackberries. It looks like they'll ripen over a long period, given the stages of berries I see on the plant now.

The plant is very, very vigorous now that it's old enough to produce. I have new canes taking over like kudzu :D Painful little thorns everywhere, though. I hope I like my thornless varieties better so I can keep Cherokee smaller, lol.

o

Scott,

I'll bag a few and let them mellow awhile longer. I agree... I must have eaten them too early. The birds had the same idea but have decided the leave the loganberries alone until they are ripe too.

Your recommendation for Siskiyou was excellent. Thank you. I had a couple more berries today off of them and I think that Siskiyou is almost as tasty as marion and the berries are nearly twice as large! They are also the largest trailing berry plants, even larger than marion. The early bearing nature of this variety hopefully will put it ahead of the stinkbugs and other pets.

On a different topic, I used a soil drench insecticide for protection from the cane borers, so I'll let you know how it works.

o

Here's my 1st Ripe Prelude Red Raspberry , just planted this bush in May and it's vigorous alright !

o

Picked my first Raspberries this morning !, Prelude is indeed the winner here as far as the earliest variety out there, just about what you would expect sizewise and taste, a typical Raspberry !

o

Siskiyou blackberries. 9-12gm. About 50% complete with fruiting by June 14th in zone 6A. Great taste with small seeds.

o

How did you get ripened blackberries by June 14th? Mrs. G

o

Siskiyou is an early ripening variety and my weather has cooperated. They are trailing (vine-like) and need to be covered during the winter in zone 6. Wild blackberries here have just now stopped blooming and won't be ready for another month.

o

jburton,
Is siskiyou earlier than boysenberry? Thanks.

o

I have 2 boysenberry plants left but they are potted. Their berries are ripening now too but they were pulled inside at the very end of winter for awhile so they could be ahead of schedule because of that. Most of the trailing blackberries I have ripen earlier than the eastern blackberries. I have marion blackberries ripening now too but they seem to be spread over a longer period of time.

o

I planted some Kiowas 6 or 7 years ago at my mom's and they are doing quite well in a field we've let revert to meadow. There is a raspberry or two that is holding on but the Kiowa is actually competing and spreading. Very thorny though, however there are many green berries on it.

Something I like to see is that the 'normal rain' after 20 years of mild drought has been causing the wild Cumberland Raspberries to start spreading at the boundary points where the forest meets the meadow on my mom's land. The Cumberland Raspberry seem to like the dried creek bed best as it's not as dry as it looks. There is an underground stream on the land and a cave.

Cumberland Raspberries are the best 'briar' berry and best berry I think, even better than strawberries. Problem is getting enough of them rather than 4 or 5 and thinking very good!

She also has dewberry I mowed around a few of them thinking it was a 'sapling blackberry' but it's not so I will be interested to find out what dewberry tastes like.

There are the orange and yellow varieties both of jewelweed filling the edge of the forest that are very handy to use against poison ivy.

I checked the forest in the back of my yard for comparison's sake and while there are nice hickories, black gum, and black cherry there is only 1 Cumberland Raspberry, no blackberries, no dewberries, and no jewelweed. There is Virginia creeper all over which actually makes a nice houseplant.

I want to replace my grass with something that stays short, looks nice, and doesn't need mowing but 1/2 acre is a lot of grass. I would like it it were possible to get that Scottish/Irish Moss to do that but I think it's too hot here. Suggestions? Zone 6B.

o

jburton,
Thanks

o

Loganberry. So I have sampled loganberries at every stage of ripeness from red and soft to purple and falling apart. As much as I was hoping for a tasty surprise, I just don't like the taste. Sorry loganberry fans but I don't think I will keep these plants after this season.

While I'm on the subject of disappointing flavor, I'm really disappointed with my Jewel black raspberries. I had high hopes from reading the forum but the flavor was rather bland, the berries were small, and they were really crunchy - big seeds. I have 2 other varieties: Mac Black and Blackhawk. The Blackhawk variety was more flavorful but just as small and crunchy. Black Mac is several weeks behind Jewel and the berries are still green. I'll give these one more year to see if the berries get bigger and more flavorful with the larger canes.

Boysenberry. I'm letting my boysenberries ripen until they are as dark as possible. I haven't had many to try but I think the ones I did try were not ripe enough. I did try one berry tonight that was dark purple and it seemed to have more flavor than others in the past, so hopefully they improve on taste or they will be marked off the list.

Double Gold Raspberry. I have been eating on these berries and they have a nice flavor but they are just not as flavorful as my Anne's for a yellow raspberry. I may keep a small planting just to have some variety but these are just OK...not great.

Kotata Blackberry is a couple of days from having some ripe berries, so I'm excited to get to taste this variety soon. I hope that it has taste on par with Siskiyou.

Cascade Delight Raspberry is going to be ripening in about 5-10 days, so that is another new berry to sample. I hope it is as good as Caroline Raspberry.

o

I want a certain percentage for jam, I like to make black and blue jam. tart blacks, sweet blueberries. Black raspberries make excellent jam. You can buy fine enough strainers to remove seeds. The tart blackberries with the sweet black raspberries sounds good. Blackberry-kiwi jam is awesome! Mulberries go well with blackberries too.
So I do want tart berries like Tayberry is one I would really like. People have different expectations. Chester also will be used for jam. I have tasted TC, and those are good fresh. Anything like that is good fresh as far as I'm concerned. I thought they were awesome!
Currants are my favorite berry, and try one fresh, ha! That defines tart! But what excellent flavor when tamed with something sweet. Coconut works extremely well with currants. I think once sweetened the flavor of currants is unbeatable by any berry as far as my palate goes.

o

I'm hoping Black Satin has a different flavor than the blackberry flavor you get from the Arkansas varieties. The flavor from Prime Ark 45 and Kiowa is fine but more like what you get at the grocery store. I liked triple crown and hope to finally get more this year but the stink bug activity has been increasing week after week.

o

We have some Triple Crown too but I don't remember if Triple Crown is the really 'giant blackberry' and Kiowa is the simply 'big blackberry' or the other way around? What's on the briars now will be big berries but not giant I don't think but then they are in an overgrown meadow with no help so that probably reduces berry size.

I do remember the smaller of the 'really big' blackberries was by far the better tasting blackberry and better than the small wild blackberries you find in the wild just about anywhere. The flavor of those compete with the Cumberland Raspberries/Blackcaps and it's much easier to get enough of them to do something with and they grow is some really poor soil and weather.

o

"Double Gold Raspberry. I have been eating on these berries and they have a nice flavor but they are just not as flavorful as my Anne's for a yellow raspberry"

I have this one, but have yet to taste. I like Anne, but Fall Gold is more tart, and i prefer that. I have Crimson Night, released at the same time as Double Gold, both out of NY. And I don't like it, no acid at all, all sugar.
Kiwi Gold is decent, I like it. I have Cascade Gold, a beast of a plant, let you know once ripe. Kiwi Gold and Fall Gold have twice the production of Anne. My Fall Gold is completely thornless. Taylor x Rubus pungens oldhami. Rubus pungens oldhami
is a Rubus plant from Korea and Japan. A mountain plant.

"I'm really disappointed with my Jewel black raspberries. I had high hopes from reading the forum but the flavor was rather bland"

I have Niwot now, and Allen will be ripe soon. Berries look small, but the canes are small. This year's primocanes are huge! They might produce bigger berries next year. I would give Jewell another year.
Check this primocane out...( 5-6 foot tall aready).
The plant has hundreds of berries, and the canes are not that big. Curious about how well the new giant primocanes differ in berry size and production. Although as I said, i would say the plant has 400 berries or more.
I'm 5'10" And i just stuck my arm out, so that is thickness at about 4'10"

o

The Kiowa / Triple Crowns can have canes half as thick as my wrist! I'm 6'.

o

"The Kiowa / Triple Crowns can have canes half as thick as my wrist! I'm 6'.'

Yeah those are blackberries, it is expected. Allen is a raspberry.

o

Well I'm used to wild brambles so these cultivated ones are a bit of a surprise.

I'd never seen a blackberry with canes like that. Although I did see wild ones with canes approaching the size of one of my fingers.

For me, as far as raspberries go, as nothing but blackcaps grow wild in my area all I've seen is mostly otherwise are cultivated raspberries so I expect some canes that are thick. I prefer the thinner ones as they propagate more easily.

o

Allen is a black raspberry, and they are more like blackberries. For example it tip roots, reds do not.
As a matter of fact it tip rooted 4 times without me even knowing it last summer. None of my blackberries did that! Allen is a beast!
I have two white blackberries growing this year, talk about weird! Still extremely small. They throw runners like crazy which is strange. One had already done so 3 feet away. It looks like these are going to be hard to control! I looked online for a photo of the berries, found one...

o

Few more Images.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Blackberries

o

Thanks Gator! I have Nettleton's and Burbanks. Still very small, strange leaves on the Burbank!
Long and skinny.

o

Jtburton, it sounds like you might not like any black raspberry. They are all small and seedy. To me all of the varieties taste similar.

Loganberries have an unusual flavor, with some clove or similar in the mix. Did you have that component in the taste? There is some chance it might not be the right variety. I have had several misses on blackberry varieties. My first "Siskiyou" was some small seedy berry that took me forever to kill off.

Scott

o

Does anyone have pictures of their winter-protected trailing blackberries? I'm having trouble envisioning how to do it, esp. w/thorns. I'd worry I would break the canes trying to lower them down. Or do you just not trellis the primocanes until the second spring before they fruit?

I've seen row cover mentioned and some other methods...I'm zone 7A, we got as cold as zero degrees F (maybe -1 or -2F) a couple times last winter, so I don't know if any of them would have survived unprotected or not. I don't have any at the moment, but am planning.

o

The unripe berries on my Mac Black’s look to be slightly larger and I think if the berries were just a bit larger it would lessen the perceived seediness somewhat. The taste of the Blackhawk variety was noticeably better than Jewel variety but since this is the first year for all three of these varieties, I'm going to see how well they perform next year. Their primocanes are much larger and more numerous, so hopefully that improves the overall berry quality next year.

I purchased my Loganberries from two different retailers (Raintree and Burnt Ridge) and their berries taste similar and the plants look identical. The flavor has a mild aftertaste, which could be the clove that you mention, but the flavor isn't strong nor particularly gratifying. I prefer a strong flavor from my berries and I'm not getting it from this variety. It could be a result of climate or how I planted them but one is potted and the others are planted in ground but all share the flavor. Just opposite the planted loganberries are my Caroline raspberries and their flavor, in my opinion, is much better than the loganberries and they are easy to manage. I’m glad I tried loganberries but there are going to be winners and losers as time passes.

I have several Glencoe Purple raspberries in pots that I purchased as tissue cultures this spring and I’m going to plant in ground at some point this year. The flavor has been described as “intense”, so hopefully that translates into a “good flavor”. They will probably take the slots created by the removal of the loganberries because I’m just about out of space in my berry patch.

o

My Logan from Raintree is bland compared to many caneberries, but it ripens early and avoids the fruit fly season here.

o

My Logans were not bland at all. Maybe they need heat to get a good flavor - lots of that here! They were very unproductive and lacking in hardiness so I took them out, but they are still one of my favorites for taste.

Scott

o

Here's one of my two 2nd year (planted in 2013) Siskiyou trailing blackberries. It's getting huge! 6 canes at 8-10ft each and now it is shooting out laterals... I hope that translates into a lot of fruit next year.

o

jburton,

You wrote, "treated plant with insecticide this year for protection. " What did you use and when? Does it seem to be working?

Thanks

o

I used Macho 2.0FL as a drench application in the late Spring. I read the label incorrectly and missed the opportunity to use it more widely, but I did apply it on the trailing blackberries plants that were primocane only this year. Those plants show less leaf damage from chewing insects but I probably won't know if it worked against the cane borers until later this year. Once my other trailing blackberries finish fruiting, I'm going to apply it to them as well. I have enough of the erect and semi-erect blackberry plants that I can take some losses and still produce a good crop next year, so I'm not treating them.

I have identified the red neck cane borer on my plants this year and have been ruthlessly squishing them along with the stink bugs. For every pair of mating stink bugs I catch and destroy, I figure I stop at least a couple of dozen of their offspring from causing damage.

To date, this season has been much more successful than the last two even with the significant losses to my blackberries from cold weather injury . Fingers crosses, I think I may have even figured out how to grow blueberries successfully now too. Now if I can just figure our grapes then I would be set.

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 19:47

One of my Allen's black was almost ripe, a deep purple. I could not stop myself, i picked it! Very sweet, and a mild but I thought good flavor. After hearing not so good reports about blacks I was pleased. It is small though. A small fruit, lot's of them though! Seems not to have any tartness to it, but interesting flavor all the same. it could be me, i was not expecting much. I have like 3 or 4 Jewell on the floricane sent to me, so I can try them in time to compare. it sprouted 2 primocanes already.
Also it looks like an Allen Primocane has flowers, maybe a long lateral, but all my laterals are brown, this has a green cane. Maybe these blacks do throw flowers at times on promocanes? it sure looks like a primocane. At the top too, like a fall bearer.

o

This is my only blackberry left, the gophers ate my other two last year. I'm not sure of the variety, I bought them at HD and it's not specified :(

o

Home Depot's selection of blackberry plants varies by location. Your blackberry plant looks like a Marion, but HD only sells those in Western states like California.

o

My Kotata trailing blackberries are ripening but I'm not getting good results from the flavor. I'm going to let a few of these hang around for a few additional days but the berries seem to lack flavor. Comparing the ripening progress to Marion and Siskiyou, I could get a good tasting berry about 2 days after the berry tuned black / purple. I have let some of these berries hang around for 3-4 days and still very little flavor. Disappointing.

o

I'll bet that's it, then! I'm in the mountains do Southern California.

o

Yep. I bought a Marion blackberry at a San Diego Home Depot store. If I recall correctly, they only had 2 blackberry varieties there: Marion and Triple crown. Here in Northern Kentucky, HD typically offers only Navajo and Apache blackberries.

o

Drew - I don't have Allen but do have Bristol and Jewel- and they both have some very long fruiting laterals- but with only a single fruit cluster, at the top. Does your Allen cane you mentioned have more than one fruit / flower cluster?

o

Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 23:17

The normal Allen floricane:
The floricanes have laterals and secondary laterals. These secondary laterals are only 6 inches long with a flower cluster. They are about 6 inches apart, so each lateral is loaded with them. The secondary laterals grew the 2nd year.

Five or 6 new primocanes grew. Green stem, about 6 feet. One has a flower at the top. Appears to be 6 feet long. Hard to see foliage is dense. It also has flowers, 2 of them on each side between the last leaf stem, and cane. Like where a tomato plant would form a sucker, if you know tomatoes. Weird!! I'll take photos tomorrow.

It doesn't look like any of the other flowers on the floricanes. All of them are on secondary 6 inch long laterals, this one is not, at the very tip of the cane.

I actually can only see laterals, the canes themselves are buried in leaf cover. They may have flower clusters too, buried in the foliage. I didn't look because of the thorns, I'll look when the fruit is ripe. Often you damage leaves and even can break canes looking around, so I have not done it. The berries are a few days away from being ripe. So far I harvested one berry. So anyday now really. A bummer as I'm leaving town. I actually may not get that many as I won't be here. I plan to come in for a few hours to harvest, if I can swing it somehow. Leaving tomorrow night.

o

Errant, is your remaining blackberry plant thorny?

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 11:39

Here a photo of the Allen black primocanes
. The tall canes in the middle. Below them you can see berry clusters from the floricanes. Look at the photobucket site for a larger picture, and other photos.
 photo 040.jpg

Here is a view of the top, notice the short one has flowers, Notice the cane is green. I guess it could be a newly grown lateral, which didn't happen anywhere else as far as I can tell, as you can see, it's very dense with multiple cultivars too.
 photo 041.jpg

o

This is not the greatest picture but the Jewel black raspberry is the small one and the Mac Black is the large one. The Mac Black weighs close to 3 grams. They both taste the same though.

o

Agreed that black raspberries are small, at least the ones I grew (Wyoming Black). I pulled them out at the end of last year, but here's a picture. From left to right, Wyoming Black raspberry, Boyne raspberry, Honeyqueen yellow.
 photo Aug513blackredyellowraspberries.jpg

o

Drew - interesting! Hopefully will be easier to sort out once harvesting berries is done.

Don - those Wyoming black look more purple - does it have red in its ancestry?

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 18:53

Interesting. I was intrigued by the size of the Mac Black raspberries, so looked it up.

The linked report from OSU (on a WVU site) seems to indicate Mac Black has smaller fruit than Jewel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berry Season Extension

o

I think the berry size on black raspberries (and probably many of the caneberries) is influenced by the off season pruning. I'm going to be more aggressive in my pruning of them next year to get the berries to be bigger at the expense of having fewer of them.

The Mac Black's seem to be much more tightly bunched together on the fruiting lateral than the Jewel's. I really haven't noticed any flavor difference though between them. The single Black Hawk black raspberry plant that I have did produce a tastier back raspberry but the berries were pretty small though. I'm going to keep it around for next year.

Don - JStubbs beat me to it but the Wyoming Black raspberry looks a lot like a Purple Raspberry, just smaller. I have Royalty and they look very similar to them when they are ripe.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 22:32

The Jewel br I grew in Amarillo were large, I'd say 5/8 to 3/4 inch diameter. Flavor was good but not as good as the trailing blackberries like Obsidian or Black Diamond. Jewel was seedy but seeds didn't bother me like some people.

o

Interesting comparing bcap size, so I pulled some out of the fridge just now. 26 of my Jewel bcaps weighed 3 ounces (kept adding berries until precisely 3oz).

This works out to 3.3 grams per berry. These berries I had selected for size from today's picking, for fresh eating. Most of them were probably terminal berries, usually the largest berry on a cluster. I'm guessing all my berries average 2.5 grams.

I don't prune these for laterals, I just let them run.

o

JStubbs and Jtburton -- not sure of the ancestry of Wyoming black. They turn red (too early to pick), then purple, then black-purple. Some insect would suck the juice from them by the time they turned black-purple, so I usually picked them at the purple stage like in the pics above. Oddly, the insects left the reds and yellows alone, even when they were so over-ripe as to fall from the canes. That, plus the small berry size, plus that I didn't really like the taste, meant the end for the Wyomings. I planted purple royalty this year, not really hardy in this area (zone 4 I think it's rated), so we'll see. I do grow Chester blackberry but that involves heavy winter protection to overwinter, whereas for raspberries I don't protect them in winter.

o

Jtburton, I grow Cascade Delight in a 3a microclimate near Fairbanks, AK and can vouch for the cold hardiness of this variety. It has grown for three years next to Boyne. While Boyne is much more vigorous and productive, CD has been the most consistent producer. The winter of 2012-13 was particularly hard on raspberries with 2 periods of fluctuating temperatures (-30F to +30F to -30F in two weeks). Boyne died to the ground, but CD didn't miss a beat. It, along with Latham, Honey Queen and Canby, produced the usual amount of berries. The low that winter was -35F. CD always suffers a few inches of tip dieback, including this year with a low of only -24F. I must say that it is usually covered by snow mid-winter - but so is Boyne.
Personally, I prefer Fall Gold to the other yellows I have, though it is only moderately hardy. It is super vigorous and yields huge floricane crops (primocane fruits don't ripen) and develops a balanced, sweet flavor here, but then high temps rarely reach the 80s most years. It continues producing well past the first few frosts, with the berries getting sweeter in the cold.
I experimented (accidentally) with floating row cover on one Marionberry plant last winter. The entire length of cane under the row cover (a wimpy brand unlike Agribon-50) survived with 70% primary bud survival (another Marionberry suffered severely). Several secondary buds also pushed, leaving only a couple of buds that didn't push, though I guess this is not unusual. It is just now flowering - a few days after Siskiyou (not protected, but still 30% cane survival) and Wild Treasure (only 10% survival without protection) and a week after Tayberry. Our winter snow cover is persistent most years, forming around the time of the first zero temps at my location and lasting until mid-April and protects trailing varieties if they are hardy enough (Black Diamond did not need protection last winter, while others had varying degrees of survival unprotected). Erect blackberries are toast, especially above the snow line, unless they bend over under the snow and, along with semi-erect types, are too late to ripen. Primocane blackberries and raspberries are usually too late season, though I just added Polana to my test plot.
As for black raspberries, Cumberlands are successful for me about 70% of the time and ripen early. I can bend them down so they are covered by snow. I have 5 other varieties, but most are still too young to know how they will do.

o

Great job wxjunkie!

I'd like to hear more about your flavor evaluations of both your raspberries and blackberries. I have had mixed results from the trailing blackberry flavors with Marion and Siskiyou having excellent flavor but other trailing blackberry varieties have had less / poor flavor despite being rated as having an 'excellent' flavor.

My Cascade Delight (CD) have grown reasonably well this year with some winter injury showing up later in the season. My weather this year has been both hotter and wetter than last year, which I believe has impacted CD’s ripening somewhat. The fruit has ripened erratically going from under ripe to falling off the plant with little time in between. The berries have also had sunburn (white druplets) from the rain / sun mix. The poor berry quality may also be somewhat influenced by the harsh winter, as my CD plants were not covered at all nor had more than a couple of inches of snow cover at the base of the canes.

I’m going to make some plant adjustments this Fall. The loganberries have not been flavorful, at least not to my taste buds, so I’m probably going to purge all of these this Fall. I replanted both my Wild Treasure and Black Diamond blackberries in the ground in raised beds to see if this might improve their growth and flavor next year. The vegetative growth has been excellent for both this year and hopefully the flavor improvement will follow next year. My Kotota trailing blackberry plants overwintered well and have been reasonably vigorous in growth this year but the flavor of the berries is lacking. This is disappointing because I have heard good things about the flavor. The Ouachita erect blackberries have produced some very nice looking berries but their flavor is only about average but that is OK given that they are easy to maintain and early to produce in the season.

On the positive side, the marionberry plants that managed to make it through the winter with row covers have produced good quality fruit and the flavor has been outstanding. These may be the best tasting berry of any kind that I have tasted. In my garden, marionberry plants grow quickly and don’t seem to be particularly impacted by the hot and humid weather. My biggest positive surprise this year has been Siskiyou trailing blackberries which overwintered well and produced high quality fruit with near-marionberry level flavor. In their second year, their vegetative growth has been somewhat overwhelming due to the vigorous nature of the plants. The long, thorny primocanes are now launching long, thorny laterals which are further complicating my plans for covering these again this winter.

I planted Newberry and Columbia Star trailing blackberries this Spring and they are growing well despite having mild leaf spot fungus right now. Both of these varieties are reported to have excellent flavored berries, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for next year. I have also finally planted the Glen Coe purple raspberry that has been well-reviewed.

The systemic insecticide I used on several of my trailing blackberries to combat the red neck cane borer problem I have seems to be effective against other leaf eating insects. I have noticed several Japanese beetles that have died after eating the leaves of these treated plants. Hopefully that works as well on the dreaded cane borers.

o

I'm having a great summer harvest here in Brooklyn NYC.

Jewel, 3rd year (Nourse), best crop yet, berries are a bit small and a bit seedy, but the flavor is outstanding, and plan to jam/bake with most of my blacks anyway. The plants grow at the shadiest end of the bed receiving morning sun till about 1pm. The new primocanes are vigorous and have been tipped at 6ft or so, in another month I'll tip the laterals to 4ft.

Heritage, 4th year (local). Just starting to ripen smaller than latham or caroline, but a reliable producer, good flavor, high acidity, and moderate grower. Suckers can be an issue. I use these for fresh eating and freezing.

Caroline, 3rd year (Nourse). Large very flavorful berries, easy to pick and store well refrigerated. The new primocanes have been tipped at 6ft, this year they are really taking off. Plan to use these mostly in baking as they tend to have low acidity and high brix, also most bang for the buck with huge cones.

Latham, 4th year, (local) Not super happy with this crop, they flowered and fruited well, but i guess we lost some shade out back and 20% of berries will have to be discarded due to white druplets. The plants grow great and don't spread as much as other summer reds, but I may have to shovel prune them in the fall, for something else.

Anne, 3rd year (Nourse), Smaller yellow caps about the same size as Heritage, (I understand it is a parent). Wonderful apricot flavor when picked with a blush of red, explodes in the mouth. I really enjoy these, I just wish the plants were a little more vigorous, they get shaded out a bit by other varieties in my garden. they are great with some simple heavy cream.

Kiwi Gold, 4th year, (local) Largest of all my berries, most vigorous of all my non-black-cap canes. Berries ripen a very pale yellow, high brix low acidity with almost an apricot flavor, hold up well after picking, most haven't made it into the house:)

As you can tell, I don't mow any of my fall bearing varieties, I instead opt for two crops in my small intensive urban yard.

I'm thinking this fall of replacing latham with a purple variety.

o

MoleX,

If you have a chance, weight several of your jewel black raspberries and let us know what the average weight in grams per berry. I have jewel as well but the berries were really small, slighty over a gram each on average but the Mac Black black raspberries were much larger, about 3 grams. I'm wondering how much environment and pruning affect berry size.

o

no problem, if the rain will ever end.

o

Most Jewel Blackcaps are coming in between two or three grams

Cat for Scale ;p

o

My blackcaps are doing wonderful...tooo much so.... I need to learn, know how to make a trellis so I can easily pick them. At moment.. I use long sleeves, and should really put on a suit of armor, because I always come out looking like I have been through a tough war.!... scratches ALLL over armes, hands, neck, head. face... ughhh.
Can someone help me, how me how to make a trellis or support for black caps, that make picking not a war game..
This spring I pruned the dickens out of them too.... think they loved it cause they have grown at least 6 feet already...
somebody please help.......
thank you...

Here is a link that might be useful: black cap trellis

o

MoleX,

Like the berries. Love the cat. Treasure the sign in the background.

o

judy.carlson,

It looks like you are new to the forum. Welcome.

I'm not an expert. I don't grow black raspberries. Trellising your black raspberries may be a good idea, but I'm not sure it will help with the thorn problem. Hopefully, more experienced growers will comment.

I don't grow black raspberries because I have access to wild black raspberries. I pick in shorts and a T-shirt. I'd pick in sandals if it weren't for poison ivy. It's too hot to pick in long sleeves and long pants. I do occasionally catch my shirt. I get a handful of scratches, but usually not bad enough to be visible. By comparison, insect bites are a much bigger problem out in the weeds. I don't know how much experience you have picking. Maybe it's just a matter of technique? I'm deliberate about where I stick my arm through. And I use my berry container to push canes aside.

I grow red raspberries. They aren't really "trellised". More accurately, I "contain" between two cords. Each cord runs the length of the row maybe 3' high. The cords just keep them from drooping over too far. All I do is redirect the occasional stray cane back inside the cords. These are just as challenging to pick as uncontained wild black raspberries. That is, my containment system doesn't decrease the impact of thorns when picking.

On the other hand, I'm growing thorny blackberries for the first time this year. I'm getting more stabs and scratches handling the canes to trellis them than I get picking wild black raspberries. That is, handling the canes to trellis may give you more scratches than you might save when picking.

Again, I could be wrong. Trellising might minimize the thorn problem when picking. And there might be other good reasons to trellis your black raspberries. Just a thought.

o

Judy,

I grow black raspberries and use a "T" trellis that consists of 2 parallel wires at about 5ft (including the height of the raised bed). I use standard 6ft "T" posts that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes (or other similar vendors) and a 17 gauge wire. The posts are placed about 10-12 ft apart. The idea here is to keep the canes off the ground if possible which requires some summer pruning.

There are other ways to trellis the raspberries but keeping the canes off the ground makes them easier to manage and reduces the chance for fungal diseases because the air circulation should improve.

The one additional suggestion would be to plan for a netting support structure as you are building out your trellis, because birds will generally ravage your black raspberries before you can get to them.

o

I wanted to report some more info as the season goes on. Caroline canes died except for one or two. Same with Rosanna. They produced weak amounts of fruit, then died when the first hot spell hit. They were right next to each other, so it may have to do with location. A cold spot, a poorer draining spot, whatever. I really think that was it. I did get a chance to taste Rosanna and it is sweet and tart, like most raspberries, but has a very detailed flavor I would describe as excellent.
I see wxjunkie described Fall Gold as moderately hardy. Mine suffered no dieback at all. Huge great berries, but yield of summer crop is only 1/3 size of last year. Seems laterals grew longer, more green growth, maybe too much nitrogen?
Best producers are prelude and encore. Both taste good!
Taste is subjective. My least favorite is Crimson Night. It's my wife's favorite!! It has no acid, all sugar. Himbo Top is like that too, well a little acid but less than most. If you like the all sweet no acid, these are the ones you want.
Allen black I think taste fine, but berries this year is small. I think Jtburton may be right about pruning and size. On a side note tomorrow I will tip root my wyeberry. A primocane is large enough now to do so.
No blackberries are ripe yet. Soon though! I really do seem to be more 5b than 6a, as I'm way behind Jtburton.
Cascade Gold is an awesome plant, not a heavy producer, but the berries are huge, and very tasty!
Pest pressure here is very low, all problems are minimal.

Here's today's harvest, it's starting to slow down.
Encore and some Taylor have a lot of berries. Fall Gold, and Anne (summer crop) are also just starting. The June bearing though pushed out a lot of berries, wow!

o

Fruiting Blackberries
- Triple Crown started fruiting a few days ago and the berry quality seems better than last year. Production will be reduced because they had cold injury to about 50% of my TC's canes which were removed. I have been pinching next year's primocanes and laterals which have resulted in TC's "trees"... very think primocanes with short stocky laterals. We'll see how they perform next year. Last year I let the laterals grow to the ground and then had a mess of tip-rooted plants everywhere.

- Black Satin (baby crop). Berries are green with a hint of red on them. Probably 2 weeks out before they ripen. Planted late last year but have suprisingly large clusters of berries.

- Osage (baby crop). Berries are just forming, several weeks away from ripening. Planted these late in the year last year so not much growth going into 2014. Probably a handful of berries at best.

- Prime Ark 45. Three different stages of growth due to cold injury. Some berries are ripening now but berry quality is low and production is about 10% of normal on the floricane crop. Secondary canes grew out in early Spring and these have green berries but are still a couple of weeks away. The Fall crop is starting to bloom now too, so this variety is a mess right now.

Raspberries
- All spring / summer varities have completed fruiting.
- Caroline (Fall crop) has blooms and some very early berries forming.
- Double Gold (Fall crop) nothing yet.
- Anne (Fall crop) buds showing.

o

Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 10:04

Today while harvesting, (I got about a pint, production winding down) I had a chance to try Jewell on the little floricane used as the bare root. Bigger than Allen for sure, more tart, not really tart, but Allen is sweeter. If you don't like Jewell, you'll probably not like Allen. To me black raspberries are for processing, not that good eating fresh. I like them fine fresh, but jams, syrups etc are better. I often pick them early to add some tartness.
Allen produces hundreds of berries, and many of the reds have come and gone and Allen still has about 50 berries yet to ripen. Primocanes are threee times the size, and may produce bigger berries next year.

o

Only one I'm currently growing is Kiowa. Very productive. HUGE berries - but, as previously noted, you really need to wait 'til they're dull and soft; at that point, good flavor and sweet - but if you pick 'em 'firm', they're pretty tart.
One THORNY rascal, though.

Tons of wild blackberry plants growing up in fencerows around the farm; I was gearing up to spray herbicide back earlier in the summer, and the wife said, "Don't spray the blackberries!"
Ha! I'm not wasting my time picking those tiny little things - a day of picking and you get maybe a gallon of berries - I can pick that volume of Kiowas in 5-10 minutes, right here in the yard - and get fewer chigger bites, to boot.

o

My black raspberries taste fine but there are much more flavorful raspberries and blackberries available. I plan on keeping my black raspberries to have some berry variety, but I prefer berries with strong, distinct flavors... preferably not mild, mushy, or seedy if possible.

I grew Kiowa for a couple of years and the berries were huge and good flavored. Unfortunately, they seemed to pickup fungal diseases easily and had almost complete dieback this winter. My Oauchita blackberries had very little cold injury this winter, have decent size and flavored berries, and don't have nasty thorns. The thorns are troublesome for two reasons... most obvisouly, because they hurt you, and also because the make bird netting almost impossible to use if the net touches the thorns. I can throw the netting over thornless blackberries and be done.

o

jburton,

You commented that your triple crowns are ripening now, but your osage are a couple of weeks away. Do you think the osage will always be a couple of weeks later than triple crown or do you think the osage harvest may be delayed because it's a young plant?

Thanks.

o

I received the Osage blackberries as tissue culture plants (think 2 inch plugs) in August 2013 and when they went dormant the primocanes were maybe 12 inches. I didn't expect any berries at all this year but what I thought were several primocanes turned out to be 3ft long fruiting laterals, so I will have 15-20 berries to try out. I wouldn't use the ripening time for these Osage as a guide for planting though. My triple crown are now in their 3rd year, so their timing is more consistent.

I planted Ouachita tissue culture plants around the same time of year as Osage in 2012 and they started fruiting in late June this year but I would consider it a baby crop though. Osage is supposed to start fruiting a few days before Ouachita.

o

jburton,
Thanks.

o

I'm in the southern Ozarks and growing blackberries (thornless, trailing). This is the third year and the bushes are loaded, yielding a pint or so every other day. We've had a very wet summer so far.

That said, the vining canes (?) are out of control, some eight to ten feet long, encroaching on the rest of the garden. Can I prune these bad boys now? It is hard to get to the fruit because of them.

Last year I propagated my patch by tipping which worked well. Can these pruned vines/canes be rooted??

o

• Posted by BKG1 8a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 22:37

I haven't seen any reports on the PA Freedom but I could have missed a post. I haven't been on the forum much lately. I picked my first PA Freedom a week or so ago. It wasn't totally ripe but couldn't wait. The best way I can describe it would be a combination flavor between my TC and Apache. It was great. I have another almost ripe and several more in the bloom stage to green berry. All my other berries are about gone. They were very good this year and I ended up with 200 gallons or more.
I only had one variety of raspberry and it is Nova. I liked those very much. I lost a lot of new cane growth for I guess too much rain because once rain stopped the remaining vines have done well.

o

Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 11:35

Final report on Summer raspberries. Cascade Gold is finishing. A super nice plant. Huge berries. Berries turn yellow than get a slight red tint when ripe. Flavor is mild, low acid, excellent. Fruit is very firm. Firmest of all my cultivars. Even firm when fully ripe. Ripening peroid is long. Honey Queen is still producing. Berries are medium sized, good flavor, nothing exceptional.
Encore is still producing, berries are medium to large, firm except when ripe they are a little soft, but firmer than most. Flavor is excellent. Taylor is very similiar, ripen earlier than encore. i had a hard time telling them apart.
Rosanna suffered from winter damge. Production was low. Berries soft, medium size, flavor is amazing. The most complex flavor I have tasted in a raspberry.

o

Drew51, thank you for the report! You may have convinced me to buy some Rosanna raspberries to try. Where did you buy yours? You have a great variety of raspberries... if you were to rank your raspberries on flavor alone, how would you rank them (best flavor to worst)?

My raspberries are starting their Fall fruiting cycle now, with a few Caroline already ripening. My Caroline raspberry bed is in need of some TLC because one side of it is producing small, weak plants. I may move to a Fall only crop next year for Caroline and Anne improve berry quality and yields.

I'm in the middle of my Triple Crown blackberry harvest and I'm really pleased with the quality and quantity of the berries, given that half of the canes were killed by cold weather during the last winter. Next year's TC primocanes are 'tree like', so hopefully they repeat their performance next year. I would go as far to say that if you are only going to grow one variety of blackberry, as a home gardener, that you should go with TC!

o

JT and Drew, I can't believe how different harvest times are! I'm just getting in Jewel, Royalty, Bristol, and a few others, summer crops don't happen here till mid July in Maine, but our last frost date is very late.

o

Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 20:01

Yes, it is something! JT is ahead of me, and I'm ahead of you. We have our zones correct. My last frost date is probably May 1st, But often we don't have frosts past April 15th. Still we can so i wait till May 1st.

Sometimes when plants are new it's hard to judge taste. I may rank it lower as time goes on.
I guess I really like Fall Gold, Anne, Rosanna, Cascade Gold and Prelude the best.
Still excellent are Carolina, Kiwi Gold, Polka, Double Gold, Taylor, and Encore.

Really all the above are really good, Encore is just as good as Prelude, but Prelude gives two crops. Rosanna and Casade Gold are new to me, and first impression is they are both top rate. Although Rosanna may be hard to grow. I got mine from Raintree. I guess a favorite would be Fall Gold, the first one I ever grew. It has a great taste, both crops are decent sized, berries are medium to very large. Is easy to grow.

Least favorite are Honey Queen, Himbo Top, and Crimson Night.
I like them all enough to keep them all. My wife's favorite is Crimson Night, Himbo Top is a berry machine! Honey Queen is still really good, I may up this one in the future.

I left out blacks as they are so different. I like them for jam, but are good fresh too, I still prefer the reds and yellows. Jewell tasted better than Allen to me. But Allen seems to be a workhorse. It produced hundreds of berries. Maybe Jewell will too? And Niwot is too young to evaluate.
I would like to get a couple purples, but will wait till after I move.

o

Hi Gang...i just got my Prime Ark Freedom Everbearing Blackberry plant today, although it is a small plant right now it had a very healthy root system and perked right up when i watered it up and planted it ...a lil' sunshine and it looks ok !

For all those talking about Berries i have the Nantahala aka Sweet Repeat that is turning into a beast of a plant, hopefully i'll get a Fall crop with it...one of it's parents are Rosanna so we'll see how it tastes as far as berries go, and will have to wait to see how it winters, i had winter damage on my raspberries too last winter.

I like Newburgh's subtle raspberry flavor, Taylor is still my favorite...Prelude is pretty good....Kiwi Gold and Fall Gold are distinctively different for Raspberries and are good.....Crimson Giant is an average flavored raspberry so far but i've only had two or three and i've heard the first few berries are not the best tasting....Polka is good, a little tangy maybe

I have several other varieties i haven't tasted yet which is the best part of planting new varieties when the day comes to find out.

Autumn Britten
Jaclyn
Josephine
Double Gold
Nantahala
Lauren
Coho
Caroline

Here is my new Prime Ark Freedom Everbearing Blackberry in Photo

Any and all feedback about this new cultivar is surely welcome

o

Prime Ark Freedom is so new, I don't think there will much feedback yet. At that size, you most likely won't get any berries until next summer. My floricanes on my Prime Ark 45 (primocane-fruitng), were nearly frozen to the ground this spring, so I didn't bother with covering the limited fruit on those canes. I grabbed a few berries today before the birds got them and I think the flavor is better than my Ouachita but not as good as Triple Crown. Prime Ark does want to grow tall though, so be sure to summer tip your Prime Ark Freedom at 3-4ft so they don't get too tall and fall over.

o

Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:35

I wanted to comment on Triple Crown I forgot to. I agree that it is a fantastic plant. I hope I can keep the canes alive this winter though.
I also wanted to comment that processing makes a difference. Most sauce tomatoes taste like crap fresh, cooking brings the flavor out, and good fresh eating tomatoes don't always stand up to cooking. So some losers may actually be winners if used in cooking. Soon I will be foraging for wild blackberries. They are not very good fresh, but make an excellent jam. The Michigan wild blackberries seem to have no winter damage. I was picking wild black and red raspberries and saw many blackberries forming. Maybe some were damaged, but plenty survived. Next year I'm going to collect the pollen and use it on my favorite domestics. Maybe I can develop a larger berry that is very hardy. I still need to practice emasculating flowers though. To help ensure a good cross. Breeding brambles is not easy. I guess I could use a raspberry too, that makes more sense, and end result maybe a lot better. I have to check on genetic compatibility. Trans species crosses do not always work.
When I retire I do want to breed brambles and develop some that fit my needs better. Just for a fun. So far I'm striking out. I germinated some seed, which took a year to figure out how to get them to germinate. Well the three seedlings died while out of town for a weekend. I put some more in seed trays but it is very late in the year. Still i want to try, I may learn something.

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 12:33

My Prime Ark Freedom. I have eaten a couple so far. Looks like there more to come

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 12:34

Another

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 12:36

Last one. There are several green ones developing with new growth possibly producing more flowers.

o

Hi...thanx for posting the photos however, they need to be turned
clockwise in order to view, my neck hurts trying to view

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 16:29

Sorry they looked straight when I posted and still do. I wonder if my iPad does something to them.

o

The pictures are correct on my phone but rotated 45 degrees on my desktop browser.

o

BKG1,

So how does Prime Ark Freedom taste?

o

Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 20:38

I like them a lot. My best description I can think of is they taste to me like a mix between triple crown and apache. Awesome! They were really black but not really ripe when I ate the two I had. I will leave the next one or two on the vine longer this next time.

o

Do you think you will double crop them (Summer and Fall crops) or just go with a Fall crop? I have been double cropping my Prime Ark 45's but I think I going to switch to a Fall crop only. They don't like cold weather and I would rather have the berries in the Fall when I have fewer berries being produced.

o

Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 21:11

I plan on double cropping them. I wasn't thinking and cut the tips on couple but not sure if that matters. I hope to get as many as they will produce this fall. I have a lot of growth but just a few that made so far

This post was edited by BKG1 on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 21:12

o

Cutting the tips is what you should probably do to encourage lateral branching, otherwise the canes will grow to 7ft and not have any lateral branches (I know this from past experience). If they get that tall, you'll want to tie them to a trellis wire for support. I learned the hard way last year and a storm with strong winds broke off half of my canes. Assuming they grow like Prime Ark 45, add 3 ft to the height at which you tip them and that is a good bet on how tall they will be by end of the season. I tipped mine at 4ft and they still hit 7ft again this year. Not only are the berries hard to pick, they are also hard to protect from birds because my netting won't reach that high. My Prime Arks are blooming now for the Fall crop and typically start ripening at the end of August and will produce until frost in mid to late October.

Regarding the flavor, I think Prime Ark 45's have a better flavor than several of the others in my patch (Black Satin, Ouachita, and Kiowa[removed]).

o

I picked this one and ate it :D My first home-grown blackberry was delicious!

Oh, and us, Larry Gene, it's a thorny one. Marion?

o

Yes. From what I can see, that looks like a marion. A ripe one should taste substantially different (and better) that what you get in the grocery store.

o

Do the prime ark freedom fruit the first year and the second? Or are you supposed to cut the first year canes after fruiting that first year?

o

Yes, Marion.

The sideways picture phenomenon is a combination of the way people hold their devices and the internal software of the devices.

Only posting landscape mode pictures would reduce the problem.

Cropping and resaving vertical, or portrait images, would help also.

o

• Posted by babyg U10 S20-23 (MtnTop L (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 17:20

These photos are really wonderful.
I'm planning to plant berries for the first in the coming bare root season. I recognize that I'm in a much warmer climate than most of you, but I'd really love to have your advice.

I already grow many blueberries, which we have to grow in pots here in order to achieve the right pH. I'm interested in branching out in to raspberries, blackberry hybrids, etc.

*Will I need to do that for other berries too? (Keep them in pots for pH reasons?) Any advice for planting scenarios?
*Whatis your take on best taste and disease resistance varieties? You guys seem to really like Caroline. Have any of you tasted Baba? I'm a bit limited in what I can grow in this heat.

I think I will order all of the ones above the line, and maybe one or two below the line -- input? (I'm in zone 10 -- the number that follows each is the listed high end of the zone for that berry)

Boysenberry Hybrid, Thornless or Thorny z9 - (very early = May/June), does great in SoCal
Loganberry Hybrid, Thornless 10 Red, (Early = June)
Blackberry Hybrid, Olallie 10 (Early = June)
Blackberry Hybrid, Marion 10 (midseason = midJuly-midAug)
Blackberry, Dirksen Thornless ?

Red Raspberry, Bababerry (@2x$) 7-9 - developed in SoCal, everbearing
Red Raspberry, Caroline 8 - best performing rasp in SoCal
Red Raspberry, Heritage 3-9

One last question. I'm not sure yet where I'm going to put them. One place I'm considering is a N-S facing chainlink fence that gets S and W sun. It's over cement, so I thought maybe a narrow trough-shaped container/bed would work.

o

Your climate is probably cooler in high temperatures than many of the people in the Southeast US who are on the forum but you may have less chill hours due to your location. I added a link to a chill hours website for California because that will be key for certain varieties to fruit properly. Based on what you mentioned for your location, I would guess that you get somewhere between 200-300 chill hours per year. That's enough for a Boysen and Olallie and perhaps Marion. I don't think any of the other erect and semi-erect blackberries you mention would fruit because there may not be enough chill hours. Tupy and Kiowa would work plus a few other varieties that have low chill requirements. Raspberries, other than Baba, may require more chill hours than you have too. There's no harm in planting a few and seeing if they work.. I could be wrong...again.:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cumulative Chilling Hours

o

• Posted by babyg U10 S20/21 (MtnTop L (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 22:34

Jburton: Thanks! Andyou are probably right on the mark about chill hours here. We are nearest Glendale which gets about 235, but our elevation is a lot higher. I kinda figured that would translate to more chill hours instead of fewer. In any case I hadn't really considered chill hours for the berries. Is there a good source that lists the minimum chill requirement for various varieties?
I've been reading various extension publications about which when and how much to tip, but I see very little about what kind of soil works or doesn't.

o

I'm going to dig up the Black Satin.It is very vigorous and produces quite a bit of fruit,but not much in taste.Plus,in the middle of their ripening,the Spotted Wing Drosophila start to come around.
Obsidian has a deep,sweet flavor and ripens early.
Also,Tayberry is super early and has more Raspberry in it than Blackberry.Very good for jam.Thorny,as is Obsidian.
I'm probably going to keep Chester and Triple Crown Blackberries because of their flavor,even though they ripen during the SWD egg laying season.May try some bags around the clusters. Brady

o

• Posted by babyg U10 S20-23 (MtnTop L (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 2:31

So...as far as taste, how would you all rank:
Boysen, Kiowa, Logan, Marion,and Olallie blackberry-hybrids, and Baba, Fair Dinkum and Fall Gold Raspberries?

And again for disease resistance?

o

babyg - blackberries and raspberries may have variances in flavor because of the climate, so my results in flavor and disease resistance may be different than what you may experience.

Flavor
- Boysen (Thorny) - Strong tangy flavor when fully ripe but somewhat tart until full ripeness. I like boysen but I also like strong flavors. The thornless boysen is a different plant with a different flavor (milder flavor).
- Logan (Thornless) - I couldn't get this one to ripen properly in my climate. My experience was that the flavor was bland and tart but others speak highly about it. It universally known as a low production plant, which would be especially true in a pot.
- Marion (Thorny) - The best flavored berry of any kind I have tried. Easily, in my opinion, the best tasting blackberry. I know that local SoCal retailers offer both Marion and Triple Crown plants in their garden centers but that’s not a guarantee they will grow well in your location.
- Kiowa - very large berries with the typical eastern blackberry flavor. Very thorny but grows well in hot climates, like Texas.
- Haven't tried: Olallie, Baba, Fair Dinkum and Fall Gold.

I have found that Siskiyou has an excellent flavor and large berries. It is thorny though and a vigorous grower. There are quite a number of blackberries and raspberries available. I'm attaching a reference put out by Oregon State University that describes a lot of the varieties.

Disease and pests. My climate (Northern KY) is humid with seasonal temperature extremes. Fungal diseases are my biggest disease issue. Since your climate tends to be lower in humidity, I don't think you will have a problem with that. As long as you don't pour water on the plant leaves, I don't think you will have fungal problems. Pests - That’s probably highly local, so I can’t advise you on that one. Once birds locate your berries though, they tend to become a persistent problem unless you cover the berry plants with nets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackberry Cultivars for Oregon

o

Brady - I dug up my Black Satin plants last week for the same reasons. The plants grew well but the taste was the worst of the berries I grow. It also ripened right when fruit flies started arriving. Since the berries are soft, it seemed like they were prone to fruit flies/SWD and other insects.

I also removed a couple of wineberry plants that I was trialing as well. Berries were too small and not worth the effort.

o

jtburton, you stumbled across my blog a few weeks ago. I typically post on the Far North Gardening Forum about my raspberry and blackberry trials here in Interior Alaska.
Briefly, prior to yesterday's freeze (limiting our frost-free period this year to just 104 days, instead of 120+/-) I harvested 6 Wild Treasure blackberries (with probably another 6 ripening under Agribon-50 in the next week), the equivalent of 1/2 a Siskiyou berry (very poor fruit set), one Marionberry, two Tayberries and one Loganberry. In all, I have about 35 blackberry varieties and 26 or so raspberry varieties. Many of them do not like our cool summers (only 750 growing degree days, 50F) or our cold winters. However, for those that don't mind the cool summer, a persistent 22 inch snow cover during the coldest part of winter usually protects low-growing plants hardy to zone 5 or 6.
Berry season for me begins August 1st most years, unless you like serviceberries (I certainly do) and honeyberries, both of which ripen a week or two earlier. Due to rapidly falling temps, berry season is largely over by mid-September, though Fall Gold continues into early October (all from floricane production). This was my first year to get blackberries and the limited number was largely due to the fact that the plants were not protected last winter, so most of the canes winter killed. In addition, they didn't begin ripening until August 22. I now know how to get better winter survival (as well as better summer growth), so production should be much higher next year - even if I can only harvest 10-20% of the crop before the cold becomes unmanageable (below 25F).

o

Good to hear from you wxjunkie! So what are you going to do to improve the blackberry survival next year?

o

Nice to be able to report good news here, my recent plantings have really taken off, Autumn Britten this years bare root plant from Raintree was planted at the end of April and it's a beast of a plant with several long canes with lot's of berries, def needs support as it grows up and out at the same time.....every berry plant has it's own personalty.....my Josephine has canes at least 7 feet long and supported by plastic wire on my trellis system, very heavy from weight of future berries and many......Nantahala is finally putting out fruit buds now, nothing from Double Gold or Crimson Giant but very healthy vigorous growth, Prelude another spring planting has several canes about 7 feet tall needing a mini trellis because of all the future berries and lot's, this is suppose to be a summer variety with bonus Fall Crop but mine has exploded growthwise and it has berries all over the place, not just the tips and it's still growing a great addition....both my Fall Gold and Kiwi Gold spring plantings are doing amazing with several healthy canes and suckers coming up, i may have an overlapping summer/Fall harvest on one Kiwi gold as the Fall crop is almost ready and summer crop is still not done, that's a great plant too and very tasty...,My Polka spring plantings are almost ready to deliver a small Fall Crop as the plants didn't grow all that much but healthy....Caroline failed to fruit as a late spring planting, neither did Jaclyn or my Heritage, but i'm told it's normal for a young plant not to fruit for 2 years.

Here's a pic of my Autumn Britten's Fall Crop .... my one plant which is all need of this variety as it's very vigorous and has many berries on the top third of it's canes and then some

this year is about experimenting with growth characteristics, productivity,disease resistance, root rot & how much suckering each variety offers and most importantly TASTE !

Some may have to go if i don't like

Nice berries Autumn Britten here

This post was edited by Greenhorn2 on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 17:22

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here