Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moorpark Apricot Transplant Dying?

Posted by MomOfRockyThePug 6b (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 13:18

I planted a Moorpark Apricot last weekend at my home in CT. I got the 2 year old tree from a local private grower and it was doing well at his home.

Within 2 days after transplant, many of the young leaves began to turn a dark brown and dry up. (So dark that they almost look black.)

I have been watering regularly. There are young apple trees planted near by that are thriving. I did not add anything to the soil before planting. Was this my mistake? Any ideas on what I did wrong? Can I save this tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moorpark Apricot Transplant Dying?

Transplanting outside of dormancy is not a great idea. That's why bareroot plants are dug up, stored/shipped, and planted all during dormancy.

So I don't think it has anything to do with what you did or did not put into the hole, but rather with the fact that you planted an uprooted tree that was actively growing and it has begun to fail.

There's a chance it could come back if just the foliage is damaged, but I would stick to potted trees (you can get a 5-gallon for under $30 in many places) if you're planting during the growing season, or go bareroot earlier in the season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here