Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Western Trailing Berry Update

Posted by jtburton 6A/6B (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 13:20

Marionberry progress (foreground) from 4" inch pot last year (Raintree). Given the blooms and green berries so far, I might get a half pint from this plant. New growth this year is already at 3ft, so maybe a larger harvest next year "if" I can protect it during winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Western Trailing Berry Update

Marionberry progress from 1 gallon (Home Depot). Maybe a half-pint to a pint expected. I had about 8ft of growth last year but at least 6ft of it must have been damaged and had to be removed. It is growing vigorously otherwise.Two new canes at about 2ft. Interestingly enough, the marionberry plants from 4" pots had no cold damage.

o

Thorny boysenberry. Planted late in the season last year. Expecting about a 1/2 pint. New year's growth is highly vigorous (2ft) and canes are about twice the diameter as last years.

o

Thornless Boysenberry. 1 - 1.5 pints expected. Vigorous grower, seems like more productive than thorny variety. 5-6 new canes.

o

Loganberry from 4" pot (Raintree). Expected production - maybe a 1/2 pint. New growth vigorous, 2-3 canes. Cane diameter in 2nd year is about twice the size of year 1.

o

Wild treasure from 4"pot. Expected production = at least 2 pints. Probably the most productive blackberry from last year's trailing varieties. New growth very vigorous; 5-6 canes, about 2-3ft. Tip layered a new plant and than one has a few berries and is about 3ft in length already.

o

Silvan blackberry from 4" pot. Expected production = 1 pint. Average new growth (2-3 canes), earliest bloomer.

o

Black Diamond from 4" pot. Expected production 1 - 1.5 pints, a lot of berries from a little plant. Least growth of all trailing varieties and only one new cane this year.

o

pls keep us posted on fruit quality. are the potted ones brought in during winter?

o

Equal results from my second-year Logan, also started as a 4" Raintree specimen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here