Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no peaches and brown rot

Posted by brookw 6a (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 13:40

The winter completely wiped out all peach buds this year. That said, will that be a blessing for the outbreak of brown rot I experienced last year or is the disease here to stay? I diligently removed and hauled away every infected peach and mummy I found, but I fear it may have gotten into the wood in a few places.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no peaches and brown rot

One of the problems with peaches is you have to spray for brown rot, if you're not willing to, you may not always get a crop, or only partial crops.
The disease will not just go away. If you had it, expect it again. Spray and you can control it.

o

We inherited a peach, and just encountered brown rot. I did rescue enough peaches for a fresh peach pie, but next year we will spray! Definitely. So much to learn when you purchase property with existing trees and no clue how to manage them.

Suzi

o

Brookw, brown rot also infects the shoot tips. So I am sure you still have a decent level in your orchard. I expect you will start off with less than past years, but if you have some good circumstances for growth you could get a bad bloom of it this coming year. Brown rot is something not to get behind on with control.

Scott

o

I have always sprayed but primarily with Immunox, which I discovered isn't effective on brown rot. I have Monterey Fungi Fighter for the brown rot, which is applied much later in the season. I assume I need to spray it regularly then regardless of having no crop. I've been fortunate not to have had it till last year but have heard it's nasty.

o

MFF seems about the best approach for the home owner. Other fungicides can help too. But yeah all you said is right.
I have no crop this year due to cold, all sprays are staying though! Not letting anything get a foot hold.I currently am using three fungicides. For early season I use chlorothalonil (Fung-Onil - Monterey makes a version too, this is Bonide). for peach leaf curl, but also attacks brown rot. Captan for scab, shothole, and brown rot. Then MFF. So three different fungicides for different reasons but all help for brown rot. Although they are not effective on all stages of brown rot, but that is just a bonus. PLC, scab, and shothole are really what I use the first two listed. I really need the Captan for botrytis rot on strawberries, and so while out, use it on peaches. I have not had a problem with scab, so is just preventative.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here