Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsrbbns

Diseased apples. Same fungus as peach brown rot?

Jim
9 years ago

Great help with question earlier today about peach brown rot.

Related problem?

I lost all the fruit last year on this tree. I can't remember the name of the apple, but it's a red one--not Delicious. Adjacent Granny Smith and Fuji not nearly so badly affected.

Is this the same fungus as peach brown rot?

If so what should I use to prevent damage this year. Propiconazole?

I sprayed early with Daconil when I sprayed the peaches, and have used Fruit Tree Spray since then. The Fruit Tree Spray didn't work last year just like it didn't work on the peaches.

Comments (4)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

I don't think that's brown rot. It looks more like insect damage that lead to another type rot. Possibly stink bugs even though their damage usually doesn't cause rot of apple.

• mjmarco
    9 years ago

Hard to tell but the apple in the back looks like it may have apple scab...If so not much you can do now. You can try Myclobutanil (Spectracide Immunox Multipurpose Fungicide Spray Next year it is a synthetic fungicide that is effective against apple scab. You can apply it any time from green tip until after petal fall.

Never seen red circles like that before...

My guess is you miss the right time to spray for insects and diseases or something's wrong with your Bon Fruit tree spray. (Never liked that spray) Goggle apple scab see if that's your problem or look for the insect causing that damage. Good luck.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

There are many different summer rots that apples get. That could be anthracnose for example. I find they tend to be variety specific and my solution is simply to remove those varieties. My Akane was getting something like that and its now gone. There are many effective sprays for them so you don't have to take my approach. The first thing you should do is to figure out what disease it is, look at lots of pictures of summer apple diseases. From that you can find a treatment.

Scott

• Jim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Great advice.
    This is another picture. Both pictures are from last year. The small early fruits this year still look fine (but they looked great last year at this time), and I used Daconil early this year when I put it on my peaches. The tree is beautiful with healthy foliage and loaded with fruit. The fruit has just all been ruined the past two years.
    I think it's too early in the game to shovel prune, but that may need to happen if I can't get smart enough to fix it.
    I'll try my best to identify the culprit and use the shotgun approach with fungicides in the mean time.
    Fruitnut says it could be stink bug hits introducing a disease, and that resonates. The lesions don't appear until late (when we have lots of stink bugs on our nearby BT cotton), and there are multiple lesions on the fruit in the first picture suggesting multiple hits. They coalesce later until the whole fruit is involved.

Hemiptera pests stink in more ways than one!

Thanks again,

Jim Robbins