Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apricot tree help please all input appreciated

Posted by mattpf none (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 13:45

Hi I live in zone 3b/4
I started some westcot cot trees last year.i noticed last year I tried grafting a few branches and the wood of the apricot tree is very dry with what looks like barely any cambium ????
The over wintered only budding from trunks and few buds so far. I've been pruning branches they seem so dry but I remember from last year they were like that in middle of summer.
I've also got alot of plums cherries ect they have very green branches that are very flexible .

My question is are apricot trees very dry hard wood compared to the other prunus or did mine suffer bad winter injury

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apricot tree help please all input appreciated

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, May 11, 13 at 15:28

They shouldn't be that different. Scratch the bark. It should be bright green just under the surface. If it's at all brown then you likely had winter injury. What you describe sounds like winter injury, if so sorry to hear that.

o

It is a winter injury I had the same problem none of my Apricot grafts worked

o

Native plums grow here. Would these be compatible for grafting european or japanese plums?

o

Treehugger how do your apricots suffer winter damage in a warm zone like yours ?
It's more likely sun scald or simply dried out. Apricot are very hardy trees .
I noticed last year when I tried grafting apricots that the wood is very dry and they are next to impossible to graft . I think grafting green wood or bud grafting is way to go with apricots .

o

MATTPF

You must be kidding to say my weather is warm. If my weather is warm why all the flowers on my 6 apricot trees froze and fell down. My dream is to taste just one apricot from my trees but the weather would not allow me. I was so frustrated and crazy I went out and spent 300.00 buying tree tarps and XMAS lights to be used next year freeze time. I did that to prevent myself of giving up hope for apricot

o

Sorry, I wasn't trying to hijack the thread. I thought I was starting a new thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here