Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trouble with my Pink Lady

Posted by milehighgirl CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B (My Page) on
Sun, May 26, 13 at 13:54

My Pink Lady on G.11 rootstock did not fair well this last year. I got a few apples last winter. I planted it in 2010 and it did well for a couple of years. This last fall I noticed it wasn't dropping its leaves and assumed it was just slow to drop them. I actually stripped the leaves so the snow would not collect.

This spring it has not leafed out. I think now in retrospect it did not go dormant as it should and may have been killed in the early winter. The only thing green now is the trunk. It's putting out small branches down low.

Anyway, my question is regarding grafting to it. If the Pink Lady scion is not hardy enough for my winters should I cut it down to the graft and graft onto it there or could I get by with grafting 3 or 4 feet above the graft?. This would make it an interstem with Pink Lady.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trouble with my Pink Lady

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sun, May 26, 13 at 19:42

I probably don't have an acceptable answer for you, sorry. Maybe someone from Callarada (that's how my Dad used to say it) can help.

Just interested to see that Pink Lady is recommended for zone 5. Down here it is a winner as well. That's a pretty wide range. Is it a goner for sure or does waiting a bit longer for it to leaf out make sense? Waiting on a winner sure beats grafting something else.

o

Well it did make it through 2 winters so I am a bit baffled by the situation. I won't lose out if I make a new central leader. I guess I'll give it more time. There's no rush really.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sun, May 26, 13 at 23:37

I'm a BYOC person, which means I control tree size with summer pruning. My Pink Lady is on M111 and never gets taller than I can reach standing on the ground. Less vigorous dwarfing rootstocks such as G11 are not necessary or recommended with this approach. That said, I'm not sure what you would gain by grafting another scion onto a failing dwarfing rootstock.

o

I don't know if Pink Lady has proven itself in such a climate as yours. Slowness to drop leaves is a red flag about limited cold-hardiness in areas with widely fluctuating temps. Temps may have gotten too cold before the tree adequately hardened off.

I consider Pink Lady a bit of an experiment here in SE NY although I have quite a few trees in my nursery of this variety. The fruit does not dependably ripen here except maybe close to the ocean or the Hudson river. Love the fruit so I understand why you try. I'm trying it in my own orchard even though it isn't one of the better sites I manage, micro- climatewise

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here