Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry bushes dropping berries

Posted by sippimom N. Ms (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 14:01

For the 2nd year in a row, my blueberry bush is loaded and yet I'm seeing lots of unripe berries on the ground underneath. When I touch the bush, several berries drop off. They are shriveled up. What is causing this? We are in N. Ms and have plenty of rain this spring. Is there a fertilizer we should apply?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry bushes dropping berries

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 29, 10 at 15:52

If the berries are green & wrinkled, it is a sure sign of dry roots. The shrub needs water ASAP. They draw more water when they are fruiting, and for whatever reason, your shrub has exhausted the available supply. It could be that your soil is draining away the water rapidly. Our blueberry shrubs are all mulched with about 6 inches of shredded maple leaves, to help retain soil moisture.

o

One of mine is dropping berries. I'm thinking lack of pollination because the plant looks great and is growing like gang busters.

My southern highbush, Star, Santa Fe, and Southmoon set all berries regardless of bees or pollination. But the new variety Brigitta is dropping fruit. This is it's first year fruiting. I set it out with others hoping for bees but they weren't interested. About 75% of the fruit are falling off.

o

I have had this happen when the roots go dry too. When I purchased new plants this year I set the pots in a large saucer. It creates a little reservoir and helps to keep the soil moist between waterings.

o

My Southmoon got so dry once this spring that the berries were shriveled. That's the only time I've neglected the water that badly. Anyway, it didn't drop any berries and the crop looks good now. I'm sure if it got dry enough the berries would drop but for what it's worth mine didn't.

o

Mulch. I should have thought of that! Thanks so much - project tomorrow :)

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 30, 10 at 11:44

We grow blueberries in our yard, here in Madison, Wisconsin. The varieties we grow are suited to our local climate, and include St Cloud, Patriot, Bluecrop, and Friendship. I have seen shriveled berries, due to lack of water. One shrub is located too close to a maple tree, and the tree always wins the competition for water. Since you are in Mississippi, you are no doubt growing varieties that I am unfamiliar with. I can't say for sure that your shrub is suffering from lack of water. One way to find out would be to get your hands in the soil around the roots, and see for yourself. How do the leaves look?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here