Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brookw_gw

masssive attack of fireblight

brookw_gw
9 years ago

Just as the pears and apples in my new orchard were really beginning to come into their own, I've been hit badly w/fireblight. Every pear is infected, and a couple apples are showing sign. I suspect the challenging weather the last several years, but there could be too much nitrogen as well as I mulch heavily w/grass clippings. The orchard is kept immaculate, so I can rule out hygiene. Really the cause is irrelevent at this point. There is absolutely no way for me to prune it all out due to several reasons--sheer number of damaged limbs alone is daunting. Is it worth getting streptomycin or even doing a copper spray now???? I'm at a point I don't think I want to replant. Any help appreciated.

Comments (6)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

I'm sorry you've taken such a massive hit. I'll bet the trees were looking great before the attack.

Unfortunately The only option now is pruning. Those sprays won't phase anything at this point.

Do I remember correctly that your orchard has no competing vegetation? If you do decide to replant, skip the mulch, plant grass to compete with the trees, and don't fertilize unless the trees show N deficiency. Slowing down the trees and planting resistant varieties are your best bet. Slowing the trees growth will help.

I've got about 80 dead and half dead trees from a freeze. We can replant together.

• northernmn
    9 years ago

Fruitnut.... I have a couple of apple trees (Honey Crisp and Zestar) that appear to be battling with fire blight. I have 3 or 4" of inches of wood chips around the trees to keep the weeds down. I haven't fertilized and the chips were pretty raw to have added any nitrogen. Growth rate has been slow (average to below average) Would the wood chips still contribute to a higher risk of fire blight?

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

northernmn:

If growth is moderate or lower that's about all you can do in that regard. Some people throw on hands full of fertilizer and it does make the trees look good. But it adds to FB risk.

• rayrose
    9 years ago

Agrimycin will definitely help you get things under control. It did for me last year, when I had the same problem. But it will take a daily inspection and pruning for the rest of the season. Mine was caused by too much nitrogen fertilizer combined with constant rainy weather.
    This year, I've seen only a couple of minor strikes that are easily pruned out. Pay special attention to disease prone varieties. I was amazed at how some varieties seemed to be totally immune to the fire blight, while others were fire blight magnets. I had it only my apples.
    The pears were not affected, mainly because i chose FB resistant varieties.

• fireduck
    9 years ago

Fireblight is one of those things you really want to catch early. If not, you get too far behind the power curve. It is not easily treated. Pruning well behind the infection is the best/most effective method. FB is highly contagious...and pruners can spread FB...and make things worse. Radical pruning is tough...but it may be B's only hope. We feel your pain....

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

In my ten years of battling fireblight it was Ray's suggestion to pay attention to the trees where its the worst that finally solved my problem. When I got serious about that and removed all the worst offenders my fireblight dropped to near-zero.

Meanwhile read up on one of the models like Cougarblight and spray agrimycin based on the timing. Fireblight is all about timing, occasionally those "perfect storm" conditions will arise and fry your trees. If you get the agrimycin welcome mat down before those conditions hit you will do OK.

Scott