Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my Pluot Tree ever fruit

Posted by sanjaygupta zone 9 Bay Area (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 14:10

Hello. So here's the Deal.

My Mother-In-Law visits us a few times a year. About 7 years back she brought some pluots for us to eat and she saved the seeds which she planted in our backyard. 7 years later, we have 2 pluot trees about 10 feet apart and each about 8 - 10 feet tall with big big leaves. Will these trees ever fruit..?

The original pluots were from an actual tree that she had in her backyard.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my Pluot Tree ever fruit

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, May 10, 14 at 14:27

Yes they should fruit. In fact I would have thought so by now. The grafted varieties often fruit in yr two for me and always by yr three. Seedlings like yours will take longer. But 7 yrs seems longer than I'd expect.

o

Does it flower?

o

Hello Drew51, The trees have not had a single flower up till now.

Is it true that the trees growing from pluot seeds never fruit. I heard that the plant itself should have been grafted for it to bear fruit..?

Thanks

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, May 10, 14 at 17:25

It needs to be grafted to be the same fruit as the fruit the seed came from. A seedlings is like our kids, they're all different. But a seedling pluot should fruit. You just don't know what the fruit will be like. Most likely it will look and taste like a Japanese plum. Most won't be as good as the original.

o

It probably isn't self fertile, so you would need another plum or pluot around. If it flowers, but doesn't fruit that probably is the problem. Hey it could be better than the parents, often kids are!

o

Thanks fruitnut and Drew51 for your answers. I guess, I will just wait and see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here