Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elity_gw

In a pickle with my new bare root fruit trees.

EliTy
11 years ago

Hi everyone. My husband and I are new to planting trees and we're putting in a small orchard starting with 11 bare root fruit trees (5 apple, 3 pear, 2 plum, 1 cherry). We live in Nova Scotia.
Problem: My husband and I are in a bit of a pickle. A few weeks ago, we planned a weekend vacation. We pre-paid for everything and it is non-refundable. Two days ago, we found out that our 11 bare root trees will be delivered Friday night! We will be gone from Friday morning to Sunday evening.

The things that we have in place so far are:
1) We have somebody who will be here house/dog sitting for us over the weekend and will be here for delivery.
2) We have a neighbour who has lots of experience planting trees (he grew up in a family that ran a Nursery). We will be paying him to do the planting Sunday morning.

My questions are:
1) If the trees are arriving Friday evening, can they soak in water from then until Sunday morning, or is that too long?
2) If that is too long, is there something simple we could ask our house sitter to do with them to help keep them moist between Friday evening and Sunday morning?

Suggestions would be much appreciated! We haven't had a vacation in 10 years and not only can we not afford to lose the money by not going, but we could really use the sanity/get away this weekend (if we can get this last detail figured out)! :-) Thanks everyone!

Comments (8)