Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowajer

Carmine Jewel arrived today

iowajer
9 years ago

I'd recently planted a couple tiny like 5-6" sized CJ's over at my Nephews place that I gotten from Mich Bulb Co. I gave like $12.99 each for them.

Well I have a buddy who was interested in putting in a couple CJ's too, so I decided why pay $25 for a couple of teensy ones from MB Co, when I may as well buy bigger ones from HoneyberryUSA.

They have them priced at $15 for 4-11", $18 for 12-20", and $25 for 21-36".

I opted for the middle of the road, two at $18 ea., or $36. There is of course the $15 S&H however. Grand total $51

So they arrived and they're bigger than any of the CJ's or CP's I've ever planted here at my place.

One is 26" the other 29".

Here's a picture. I think they may have shipped the bigger ones. In any case, I am impressed!!!!

{{gwi:99329}}

Comments (6)

• ljkewlj
    9 years ago

I planted a CJ and CP in the ground last spring from St. Lawrence nurseries and they didn't make it. They looked similar to yours and around the same height but mine were bare root. I checked out the bark near the bases this spring found 3/4 of it pealed away from the wood.

I just ordered some from Honeyberry USA and received them last Tuesday and planted them last weekend. The CJ and CP I ordered were the ones for $25. each and came sent bare root. The CJ is 24" tall and came with 10 branches on it, the CP is 16" tall and has 6 branches on it. Both were sent with the green tips starting come out.

• iowajer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I had recently received two CP's from HoneyberryUSA about 3-4 weeks ago with green-tip just starting to show. I'd have to look back but I want to say they were like 13, or 14, maybe 15" or so. Real healthy looking though. They've leafed out nicely now. But mine were in little pots of potting soil.

These also have just the slightest bit of green starting to show, and are also in little pots. They look perfect!

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I lost a CP, I will replace it after I move in a few years. Hopefully by then Honeyberry will have the rest of the Romance series. I have two CJ's from Henry Fields I got like for 7 bucks each. Nice plants, super healthy. They were about 12 inches tall.

• iowajer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got the impression that the CP's were a little more temperamental, or maybe a little less aggressive than the CJ's.

I do see where one of my recently planted little CP's is starting to yellow a little bit on a few leaves, but we did have 2 3/4" of rain all at once a week ago and I'm hoping that's all it is.

These taller CJ's will go in the ground this evening. Again, I've never had anything this sized up, so all mine I just planted and caged. Here I'm sorta tossing around maybe staking them...

• mdo003
    9 years ago

how much of a difference is there between the flavor of your cp vs cj if you've gotten fruit from them both? is the cp really much better or are the differences fairly subtle?

• iowajer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've only tasted the CJ. Last year 2 of my 5 had a few cherries, maybe like 50. My li'l CP's only just went in the ground a few weeks ago.

Last year I left my CJ's on until they were really dark, thinking they'd be a lot more sweet (for a tart) but they left a taste in my mouth similar to a dry wine I thought. I'll know more this year if the birds leave them be, as all 5 of mine have quite a nice fruit set. Maybe I'll have a different take on them. I just figured that it probably wouldn't matter in terms of pies and jams anyway. Just kept reminding myself that people refer to them as a "gourmet" cherry. So I'm thinking "complex cooking cherry..."

At least this year I ought to know what a pie tastes like compared to my Early Richmond. But I felt last year like the ER fruit left on the tree longer was actually sweeter than the CJ.

I am going to get one of the refractometers Fruitnut posted about yesterday though.