Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this fireblight

Posted by mes111 5b (mes111@AOL.COM) on
Sat, May 31, 14 at 14:11

I found this condtion on my D'Anlou and Orcas pears.

These were sprayed with copper in late winter.

Should I apply copper now? These a young trees and have no fruit yet.

Thanx
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this fireblight

it could be....but usually the terminal shoots start to turn black...and die back from there. Spraying is most effective during dormancy. You can wait awhile and see what develops...or cut well behind the black leaves now. This disease can spread through pruner contact. very contagious...

o

I don't see any evidence on the shoots.

That's the reason I was wondering if it was fireblight.

Mike

o

That is the way it looked on my first leaf pear trees.

I removed and disposed of the leaves as soon as the symptoms appeared. Fireblight seems to have disappeared (none in second and third leaf) which is one advantage of living here---it is too hot for Fireblight ... and unfortunately too hot for most European pears.

I have no advice on spraying. I would remove and dispose of leaves as soon as you see the blackening. Young trees are a balance between the need for photosynthesizing leaves to keep them growing and keeping the bacterial amplification cycle down. Your local coop exchange or Master Gardner program should have advice on Fireblight.

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Sat, May 31, 14 at 17:48

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here