Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pear Sapling apparently dead but buds at the base

Posted by Kip24 none (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 14:29

I have a 4 year old pear sapling that didn't make the winter. The stems do not show vital buds. At the trees base, close to the ground there are some buds starting. I was wondering how, or if, I can salvage the established root system and let some of these buds continue to grow, cutting the dead 95% of the tree. It's a sentimental thing to keep.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pear Sapling apparently dead but buds at the base

Once you are truly sure the top is dead cut off the sapling just above the buds; let three or so buds remain until one declares itself the best, and remove the others.

You don't say what the pear's rootstock is, and there may be no way for you to know, but if it's not what the top was you can readily graft to the new shoot next spring or later.

o

Yeah, the important thing is to see if those new shoots are coming from above or below the graft union. Generally, fruit tree tops are grafted onto roots of a totally different type to help control the growth of the top, give soil disease resistance, etc.

Around the base of the trunk should be a scar going all the way around from where the two pieces joined. If the new growth is below that ring, then odds are the pear tree you knew is dead and the rootstock is trying to sprout to make up for it.

If its coming from above the union, then you should be good, just let it go until you're 100% sure the rest is dead.

o

Thanks for the tips. Once I'm sure the top is dead, I'll watch those buds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here