Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries flower but no fruit?! HELP!

Posted by littlecityfoodgarden 8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 14:30

I grow 3 kinds of blueberries planted 4 years ago since day one I get flowers but once the flowers start falling off what should be the start of blueberries and their stems dry up turn brown and fall off too, they make lots of flowers lots of leaves and new growth but very few actual berries. Some of the flowers have nibble holes in them like an insect was snacking on the flowers. All the leaves look beautiful and healthy. I thought at first my garden was too dry(I do have an excessively sand dry garden for the west coast) but this spring has been so rainy there is no way they dried out, I test the soil every year and it is very acidic. I fed them with liquid kelp early in the spring. Anyone have any advice it would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries flower but no fruit?! HELP!

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 30, 11 at 14:36

Grow lots of flowers and try to encourage native bees to take up residence and reproduce. It helps if you have an "organic" lawn free of any pesticide, including weedkiller. Blueberry flowers are pollinated by bees, -in our yard, in Madison, Wisconsin, its mostly bumblebees.

o

Thanks for posting, sorry I should have been more clear in my post, everything I do it totally organic, the small lawn I have is 50/50 clover(red clover is in bloom right now), I do grow flowers, and the high school accross the street from me has a bee keeping project on their roof so I am pretty sure I am getting polinated, the problem is more that the immature fruit and flowering stems are drying up and falling off....Maybe I'll get out and take some pictures of the blue berry patch this afternoon....cheers!

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 30, 11 at 18:45

Your soil type is not familiar to me. We have heavy clay soil here in Madison, with pH around 7.6, too high for blueberries. I heavily amend the soil with peat moss or compost made from tree leaves, and lower pH with agricultural sulfur. Our soil tends to hold moisture well, so I usually don't have to water the shrubs until August. For what its worth, some folks successfully grow blueberries in pure peat moss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here