Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach tree

Posted by Mrainey1234 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 14 at 14:36

Have new peach tree 1-2 years old. It arrived with a few blossoms. All the blossoms have gone and all the branches break when I bend them back.
At the bottom of the bark, green leaves are growing, however they are starting to curl. Should I cut the tree all the the way back to the bark where the new green leaves are growing.
Live in sc pease help. Not sure what this tree is doing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach tree

I'm not sure if "bottom of the bark" and "back to the bark where the new green leaves are growing,"means near the ground?If it does and there is no top growth(leaves and new shoots)then probably the graft failed and the rootstock is still alive.
Try scraping a little bark off in different areas from the top part of the tree with your fingernail or knife and check for green.If it is,then that part is still alive.If brown,then it's dead at that level and keep going down the tree to the graft union.If there is no green above the graft,it's dead and about the only thing to do is cut it down and start over or graft another variety onto the rootstock as the rootstock probably won't produce good fruit. Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here