Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsg47

Arboreum trees arrived

mrsg47
10 years ago

Wow, what trees from Arboreum. They arrived yesterday and went into the ground this morning. I have never seen such strong root systems on any of the other 19 trees I own. Because Arboreum shipped them late, the trees have an eighth to a quarter of an inch of green leaf. There are also two faded blossoms; one on each tree. My 'Shui Mi Tao' and Early Crawford are now part of my collection. Three more trees arriving this week.

I gave each tree a gallon of water. Can I give them a light spray of immunox, captan and traizicide mixture? Their branches are at least a quarter of an inch thick. The only real surprise is how high up the graft is on the rootstock. Much higher than any other nursery thus far. Great trees and worth the wait! Mrs. G

Comments (13)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

No reason to spray insecticide. No fruits to protect.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Itilton, I lost a Bavay plum because I did not spray. It was its first year, had no fruit, but borers got to the trunk and killed the tree. That is why I ask. My question has nothing to do with fruit.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Too late for copper? Or do I wait till fall. thanks again, Mrs. G

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

I wouldn't spray at this point, theres nothing to protect against since it probably did not carry any diseases over from the nursery. The main thing is get them in some soil soon, trees hate leafing out when they are bare-root.

Scott

• RichAustin
    10 years ago

Could you share where to buy "Shui Mi Tao" tree? Can they grow in Zone 8,(600~700 chill hours)?

• Tony
    10 years ago

Rich,

Look at the link below. You can call them. Good Luck.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Arboreum

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

RichAustin: Arboreum is the only nursery I found that sold Shui Mi Tao. They only had four trees this year. I felt lucky to get one. It does not appear that Arboreum has large amounts of trees per category or variety for sale. You can email them and ask what they might have for next year.

Scott, thanks, the trees are in the ground. What do I do with the tiny leaves growing up the trunk of the Shui Mi Tao? Remove them? I really don't want them there.

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

I checked out the Arboreum's site and it looks like they still have trees available. I emailed them to see, as their FAQ says that they only refrigerate through March 1st. They emailed back that:

"We still have some trees in the cooler but our plan is to shut the cool off this weekend. Tell us ASAP what you need."

I figured I'd let everyone know in case they want to add a couple more trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arboreum

• RichAustin
    10 years ago

MrsG47 and Tony,

Thanks for the info for Arboreum.

I checked Arboreum's web, looks like "Shui Mi Tao" is out of stock. I sent them a email to see if I would have any luck.

Rich

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

I got email say my Arboreum were to arrive on the 2nd. Hasn't happened. got to find out how to contact them. Will try link up-thread.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Albert, it appears Arboreum only communicates through the mail or email. They do not post a phone number. Mrs. G

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

What do I do with the tiny leaves growing up the trunk of the Shui Mi Tao? Remove them?

Yes, I always remove those.

My Shui Mi Tao is looking really nice, it has good vigor for a recent transplant. Just to make sure I didn't have to pay for another if this one failed I did a backup graft with the trimmings and that is also going well now.

Scott

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh Scott you smart guy. I haven't started grafting yet and I was instructed by Arboreum to prune!!! My tree arrived with at least six or seven branches. So I pruned. The leaves are starting to appear and it seems fine. I guess in two years we'll have our first taste? Mrs. G