Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to add tiers to a 3-tier Apple Espalier

Posted by dernce 9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 14:38

I planted these 6-in-1 three tier apple espaliers just over a year ago and they're finally well rooted. There are two planted about 12 feet apart from one another.

Three tier trees was all I could get, but want them to have at least 6 levels - or at least get up to about 6 feet high.

How can I train them higher since the leader was cut before I got them? On one tree there is a vertical shoot from about 1 foot below the top tier. Should I encourage that to be a new leader? There are also several vertical branches close to the middle off of the top tier.

I would like it to produce fruit so wondering if selecting a branch off of the top tier will limit the growth to the top of the trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to add tiers to a 3-tier Apple Espalier

I bought two also of the 6 in 1 espalier apple trees. My problem with mine were the bottom tier on both of them were too close the ground and the next tier so I removed the bottom one on both. I just allowed any growth nearest to the middle to grow and in one summer I had growth from both trees to go up another tier and then just bent the limbs growing out of the new limb at the right height. In the second year I all ready have growth for another tier.

o
RE: How to add tiers to a 3-tier Apple Espalier

Dernce

This summer I am sure that several vertical shoots will develop off each horizontal scaffold near the trunk .
You can just train one of those to be a new leader and next spring head it at the next desired level. New side shoots will come up next spring and you can tie two of them down to form the next level.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here