Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1/2 Dead Maple Tree (a little off topic)

Posted by oldryder (4) (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 14:48

Got 2 trees that are roughly 5 years old. no unusual stress or damage I am aware of. Other maples doing fine.

suggestions anyone? should I cut off the branches with no leaves?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/oldryder/IMG_4785.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/oldryder/IMG_4786.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1/2 Dead Maple Tree (a little off topic)

always cut off dead stuff ... after you are sure they will not bud..

so give them a little more time..

and that stake and string is useless .... get rid of it .. trees are supposed to blow in the wind .... and if they have been there 5 years.. it doesnt need it.. which brings me toooo ...

have those really been there for 5 years??? because the death could be related to recent transplant shock .. improper ball and burlap, potting or planting ...

there is a tree forum.. if you wish ...

ken

o

ken; thx for reply. I'll check Tree forum. I Tried Maple forum but got no response. Trees might only be three years but are certainly not recent transplants.

I know stake needs to go, been waiting till I get the tractor out as it wouldn't come loose without a lot more effort than I wanted to spend given it'll pull out easily with the bucket.

o

Water stress last year, probably. Mulched area much too small for establishing trees- maples can't compete with grass any better than grass can compete with an established maple.

You will need to train a new leader from most vigorous branch that can be bent straight or a new shoot. You can use the dead wood as a crutch until new leader hardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here