Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf curl in newly planted Asian pear tree

Posted by nandakumar 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 14:53

Hi,

I planted a Shinseiki Asian pear this winter, leaves started to emerge in late march and was doing well for until end of April. I was out of country until yesterday and today i found that almost all the leafs are curled up.

It would be helpful if anyone share their experience in treating asian pear leaf curl disease.

Attached photo has the close up view of the top of the tree and the full tree.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf curl in newly planted Asian pear tree

• Posted by campv Camp Verde AZ (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 15:14

From the picture it is hard to tell. Could be water issue. Mine did something simular this year and it is 7 years old
It was aphids- had to spray

o

• Posted by dan8 Stockton, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 17:06

I planted 20th century pear from bareroot this winter and the first leaves were curled just like that too. The newer leaves that have branched out later in the season aren't curled though, I reduced watering and stopped adding fertilizer.

o

Thanks Campv & Dan8,

I visually checked almost all of the leaves and couldn't find any bugs like aphids.

I went to local nursery calloways and the folks told me that leaves curled because of under watering. I live in Dallas and for the past one month we are getting quite a bit of rain and a friend of mine regularly watered all my plants, not sure whether leaf curl is because of under watering.

I'll keep an eye on the tree

o

Thanks Campv & Dan8,

I visually checked almost all of the leaves and couldn't find any bugs like aphids.

I went to local nursery calloways and the folks told me that leaves curled because of under watering. I live in Dallas and for the past one month we are getting quite a bit of rain and a friend of mine regularly watered all my plants, not sure whether leaf curl is because of under watering.

I'll keep an eye on the tree

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here