Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cytosporum Canker

Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 14:55

Oh ugh. Just found this 'gummosis' on my Italian plum. I wasn't sure until now. The branches, except for these three weeping areas are fine and even produced blossoms and setting fruit this year; I hate to saw them off, but I might as well do it now before it spreads. It is only on two branches but on one branch it is in two separate places. The branches are each 1 1/2" to 2" thick. This is fairly upsetting, but I might as well saw them off now? I've tried everything since I first noticed it last October when it first appeared. I'll wait to hear from you all before I pull out Felco saw! Thanks, Mrs. G :-(((((

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cytosporum Canker

How do you know that's the problem?

o

I searched pictures on the internet. They match very, very well. I also took an 'exacto' knife last fall and cut out a square around the oozing section. I pulled back the bark and found a lump under the cambium. I cut that out as well, back to clean cambium. I sprayed with copper and fungicide The wound healed (turned brown) over the winter and started oozing again this past March (there are three wounds). What does it sound like to you? Thanks, Mrs. G

o

I don't know. Oozing can be caused by so many different things.

I have cytospora canker on my spruce trees, and it's the kind of thing that you can slow but never stop.

o

I'll give it one more day and post pics tomorrow. I've had the tree for six years and this will be the first year it has a 'real' crop. Its killing me. Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here