Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small leaves on blueberry bush

Posted by cjackord So cal (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 14:56

I planted two blueberry bushes last spring. One is perfect-- excellent growth, fruit, leaves; I couldn't be happier! The other one looks like this... These leaves are absolutely tiny. They're oddly clustered and it only got 3 blossoms on it this year. It's significantly smaller than the other one also (they're planted on opposite sides of my garage).

Have you ever seen anything like this? I tried deep soaking, thinking that maybe it was a root problem, and while it did seem to help with leaf development, they're absolutely tiny and it didn't help with fruit production.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small leaves on blueberry bush

Hi cjackord,
That's kind of interesting.I haven't seen so many all at once.They were planted about one year ago and if so,what did it look like then?Also,what variety? Brady

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, May 21, 13 at 16:00

Did you spray Roundup last fall? It looks like Roundup injury. If so it might grow out of that in another year or two.

You imply they are planted in the ground. Is that correct? That's very hard to do in So cal. So it could be a nutrient issue related to that but doesn't look that way.

o

I agree with fruitnut, Looks like roundup drift. They call it shoestring.

o

We use vinegar for our weeds, but it's not too far from our next door neighbors that round-up is a possibility. :/

Yep, planted in the ground. It was a healthy plant last year; I planted at the end of the season, so no fruit, but the leaves were large and plentiful. I have no idea what variety... I'm so new to gardening and didn't think to keep the tag (whoops!). I do know that it's the same as our other bush, which was why I knew something was wrong.

Is it just a waiting game for satan to leave the soil (lol) or is there something I can do neutralize it?

And thank you SO much for sharing your knowledge. I've got a black thumb and these are my babies!

o

Is it in a very small container? Sometimes the leaves will do weird things if the roots are stressing for room, that's just a huge guess tho.

RM

o

Cjackord,

Roundup (Glyphosate) does not hurt the roots it is absorbed through the leaves. In the soil it breaks down fast just a couple months most will be gone. If that is what caused the problem with the leaves it was sprayed last fall I think. If that is what caused it the plant may not survive......but hope it does.

o

The vinegar added to water will probably help your Blueberry plants.It won't take away the possible Roundup problem,but will for a short time, acidify the soil,which they need.
But that's a whole other subject. Brady

o

I also think that it is RoundUp (Glyphosate) damage. Last year I had raspberries runners that travel 5ft underground and came up close to my blueberries. I protected the blue and sprayed the small raspberry runner with Glyphosate.

The runner died, but the parent raspberry cane that shared a root with the runner, developed with a large amount of tiny leaves. A lot like your blue has. The parent raspberry cane did develop lots of flowers, but very few turned into fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here