Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberries: Soil Recommendations in-ground and in-containers

Posted by losfelizdirt 10 (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 15:00

I am a raspberry addict that recently moved to a place in Los Angeles that has a few huge trees obscuring the sun to my backyard, which is ten feet below the main house and is blocked by a six feet fence all around. So basically, there's not a lot of sun in my backyard. Check out video here if you want: https://vimeo.com/60921556#t=191

The soil is terrible. Impacted clay.

I have a south-facing walkway that seems to get more sun that im thinking of building a narrow planter box to put raspberries in.

My question is: What is the current state of thinking in amending the soil for perfect raspberry-ness? (im hearing a lot of amending-is-bad all of a sudden). And fertilizer?

And what is the current state of thinking for the perfect raspberry container mix?

Anybody?

Thanks!

Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberries: Soil Recommendations in-ground and in-containers

Who cares if you can amend the soil, you dont have any sun... Are you going to buy some grow lights to hang over your patch?

o

To answer your question you can till in a lot of sand to loosen the soil but adding organic matter will help the most. In a container I would use 50 % good black dirt/topsoil mixed with 30% peat and 20% compost (or 15% vermiculite/perilite and 5% aged manure). You can build a raised bed using standard pine 2 x 12's that will last for many years, or use cedar and it will last a few decades.

o

I have raspberries growing in 18 gal containers just east of a 6 ft. fence. They get sun until about 2-3 o'clock, depending on the season, and of course more as they get taller. They seem to do fine. Like you, I have shade issues from a gigantic rebuild to the south (and my own house to the east) so I have to be choosy about what will get the most sun and when during the day it gets it. It's also generally cool here, just a couple of blocks from the back bay.

I grow the plants in containers because I have almost the exact opposite soil problem: dune sand. If I did manage to get the raspberries going in the ground they'd soon be everywhere, so elevated containers were my solution. They share a netted enclosure with my containerized blueberries.

For the soil mixture I use more or less a poor-mans 5-1-1- mixture made with small pathway bark, peat moss and pearlite and a little dolomite. This mixture drains pretty well but does require constant added nutrition because there's not much in it. I originally start with a little Osmocote mixed in but it doesn't last forever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here