Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maybearing Strawberries

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 15:03

This year, at least. I got the first ripe Earlyglow today.

Crazy weather.

Makes me wonder how early the tree fruits will turn out to be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maybearing Strawberries

Yes, very strange. I see a couple of honeyberries starting to turn blue. That is about 4 weeks, at least, ahead of normal. Most of my strawberries are just coming into bloom, so I hope they may avoid freezing (assuming they weren't fatally damaged in the big freeze of a week ago Sunday).

o

Mine are blanching out, about to turn red. The nets got put on yesterday.

o

Yep, I saw the red, got out the net.

o

Hi all! This may be a stupid question. Started my first garden this year and I just planted some strawberries. What are the nets for? Are they to keep birds and other animals off of them as they ripen?

Also, do you think I've started strawberries too late for zone 7? I didn't really research it before buying the plant like I usually do. Just bought it on a whim at one of my many trips to the garden center. haha. Any tips would be great. Thanks!

o

Nets are for keeping birds and varmints out, yes.

I don't think it's too late to plant the strawberries, but whether you get fruit this year depends on what kind they are. If Junebearers, just let them grow for next year.

o

Okay, thanks. So I transplanted it to a pot. I have no idea what to do with it during the hotter months and winter. Do I leave it in partial shade when it gets really hot out? I'm actually not sure what kind I bought so I'll have to figure that out. It doesn't say on the tag. As you can see I'm pretty clueless about growing strawberries. Ha! I have a lot to learn but I'll get there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here