Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help to ID this tree/shrub

Posted by chara2 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 15:04

I need help in identifying this rescued tree/shrub. About 2 months ago I dug it out from the old lot there the small plant nursery used to be just a few years ago. It looks like it is recovering from the transplanting shock as is pushing a new growth. So, now I have two questions: what is it and what needs to be done to get it back in to the shape and fruit bearing condition. Upon transplanting, it had one small green fruit of the plum type, about 0.5 inch. Unfortunately, my camera doesn't catch a more red/purplish color on the new foliage. Please, advise, as I'm a newbie. Thank you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help to ID this tree/shrub

The color of the foliage would indicate that it might be a rootstock. But there are fruiting varieties that are this color as well.

o

It looks like a purple-leaf peach; as fruitnut states it could have been the rootstock as purple leaves are favored for roots (if a graft fails it raises a "purple flag" to the grower that something is amiss).

Scott

o

OK, I have to share something with the group. I have had two peaches, one about 10-12 years ago, and I have one now, that are the rootstock from a deceased graft. Both of them actually had very tasty, albeit small, peaches. The current one is extremely late, and I often don't bother to harvest because I'm sick of peaches by that point, but they are really good in terms of flavor, a small freestone larger than a golf ball but smaller than a tennis ball.

o

This morning I went to a large nursery. After waking around for a while I found a group of grafted nectarines tagged Sunhome that look like my NOID. I think that it is it.
At some point I will have to remove most of the new shouts coming from the base. How many should be left? Will 3-4 be too many? Should I do it now or wait for a fall?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here