Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 Year Old Grape Vine - fruiting and pruning?

Posted by silent88 Orange County, CA (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 15:05

I have a 2 year old grape vine that has made several bunches of grape blossoms, and one is already starting to bloom.

I think I've read not to let it fruit, but it is growing so vigorously (somehow) that I don't see the problem. So how many bunches of grapes can I let develop, if any?

Also, it was intended to only really span the 5-6 foot fence, should I just let it continue growing and prune it over winter or do I need to do any summer pruning?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 Year Old Grape Vine - fruiting and pruning?

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Tue, May 8, 12 at 16:06

I see no problem in allowing them to fruit their second year if they've covered the area you want them to grow to.

o

Grapes normally aren't summer pruned. They are pruned in winter to remove most of the old wood. Leave 2-4 canes of last summers growth. On a vine that size I'd leave 3-4 clusters at most. It's really not that big yet.

o

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a bunch of grapes requires 10-12 mature leaves to feed it enough to ripen successfully.

So, count up your leaves, and divide by 12. That should be your upper same maximum number of bunches to leave on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here