Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trovesoftrilliums

Growing brambles near neighbors yard and deck question

trovesoftrilliums
10 years ago

I am considering growing my blackberries on the east side of my shed which is about 12 feet from my neighbors yard. We do not have a fence separating a yards. This yards slope down and meet at a sewer drain. My shed is raised on a gravel bed. I would make a 6 inch raised edging around the side of the shed for the blackberries. I currently have Darrow (getting to be a beast in its 3rd year) and Black Satin (easier to manage) in the middle if a cutting garden and I want them placed somewhere easier to control. I am considering getting rid of Darrow and keeping only black satin.
Do you think this is too close to a neighbors yard to grow blackberries? They keep a very tidy lawn and I do not want to cause any neighborly problems. They use Scott's lawn care diligently on their lawn.

Also, I have a mammoth raspberry growing on the northwest corner of my slightly raised screened deck. This is also its 3rd year. I have a 6 ft obelisk for it to grow up. I see has a few runners peeking out on the north side of the deck. This has me wondering if I can actually grow a low row of rasp berries along the edge if my raise deck. Is this just asking for trouble??? I placed the raspberry plant on the deck corner because I found that my original spot was far too wet in the spring. The deck was just a temporary holding spot until I could figure out a better drainage situation.

We are addressing the drainage this year but I am having a hard time fitting in all the fruits that I would like to have.

I wonder it the thornless blackberry along the deck might be a better choice. But overall, I don't want to end up with berries overtaking our deck and causing problems later.

Any thoughts?

Comments (4)