Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange freeze damage to pears

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 15:08

This seems to be the pear equivalent of frost rings on the apples. Instead of rings, the pears developed cracks from the stem end. Later, the red skin peeled off starting with the cracks, leaving a brown corky surface.

The pears are alive and growing. When I cut one open, it looks fine on the inside. Question is - will they be edible with that skin?

Has anyone seen this kind of damage? It's new to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange freeze damage to pears

Actually, I've seen that before on my Bartlett -- in the end, those damaged spots become sort of hard, brown cork calloused areas. Most of the pear will be fine, but not too pleasant to bite into, so just cut them out when you eat it. If the entire skin becomes calloused and russetted, you may need to peel before eating.

o
RE: Strange freeze damage to pears

That's sure how it seems to be developing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here