Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with muscadine not producing cordons

Posted by kellsta SC (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 15:11

Planted a mucsadine vine (granny val) in the fall. Not sure how old it is, but it’s about the diameter of a pencil.

The vine had been container grown and had a lot of growth on it. I pruned all the side growth and left one trunk about 4ft long. It was a little over 5ft but I cut it down to 4.

It’s in a grow tube and the top of vine is attached to the wire of my single wire trellis with a piece of string. I can look down the tube and see growth at the bottom but the top will not produce any cordons.

Is the growth at the bottom taking away all the nutrients from the top? Am I being impatient?

Should I have cut the main trunk all the way down to the ground? I wouldn’t think that would be necessary as that would be like starting from scratch?

How do I get it to produce the two cordons so I can run it down the trellis?

Thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with muscadine not producing cordons

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, May 3, 13 at 15:20

With most grapes it's better to cut back hard at planting and train the strongest shoot up to the trellis. That's what you should do here. The plant isn't set back any by doing that. Grapes grow so fast that 4ft is nothing. All that matters the first year is growing roots. Let it grow where it wants to grow strongest.

o
RE: Help with muscadine not producing cordons

Thanks fruitnut. Should I go ahead and cut it back down to the ground or just down to where the new growth is at?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here