Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Young Blueberry plant problem

Posted by Jenny139 9 (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 15:13

I purchased 2 blueberry plants from Home Depot 2 weeks ago and one of them showed signs of stress basically overnight (2 days ago). I've attached photos. Can anyone tell me if the plant has a fungus or disease, and if it can be saved?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Young Blueberry plant problem

It looks like it got dry......they don't like to dry out ever and if they do they let you know it.

o

Thanks for your reply! I re-planted it yesterday in a shade lovers' mix and watered well. Hopefully it will improve. This is my first time growing blueberries!

o

Mix the soil with half peat and half potting soil. If your native soil is a good loam, then mix half peat to half native soil. The soil is critical, if it's not right, your plant will not thrive.

I got two plants from HD last summer and they looked really sickly. Planted both in half peat and half native soila nd by end of summer they both looked awesome.

Good luck,

RM

o

Are your blueberries in containers or in the ground, Jenny?
What's "shade lover's mix"?

o

They are in 20 gal smart pots. The bag of soil was called SHADE MIX for acid-loving plants by Kellogg (organic, OMRI listed).

o

I bought three from home depot last year, one is thriving and the other two are growing but sparse. I have clay soil but added a lot of peat. Keep them moist, and bone meal helps too when they get a but brown. Hollytone is great for them too. Good luck!

o

If the tips dont bounce back, prune em

o

They are in 20 gal smart pots.

I think you'll be very happy with the Smart Pots. I began using Smart Pots last year, and I was very impressed with the results. You might have to water a bit more than you would with plastic (especially in zone 9), but, in my experience, it's a worthwhile trade off.

o

Thanks for all of your replies and tips! I appreciate your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here