Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another blackberry question

Posted by colonel_kernel none (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 15:22

Hello,
Me and my family moved into this house a couple of years ago and this year I'm finally getting around to planting fruit trees for my backyard orchard. I've also planted some blackberries. They were planted in March and April and are now shooting up new canes. I've cut off the two year "handles" now so the plants can focus on new growth.

I guess my question is: the new shoots that are growing out of the ground now will produce fruit next year (2015) correct? Or do they continue growing and will produce in the year following (2016)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another blackberry question

This years new canes will fruit in 2015.

o

Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I had figured, but wasn't exactly clear.

o

Yes. New shoots that are beginning to grow right now will fruit next spring/summer.

Blackberries have a perennial root, with a biennial cane. That is, it takes 2 seasons to make fruit. The new canes that are growing now are called primocanes. Think, 'primary', first stage. When they begin to flower out next spring, these primocanes will 'graduate' to the next stage, called a 'floricane'. 'Flori-' means 'flowering', of course. Raspberries also have primocanes and floricanes.

Now, before anyone goes all technical... this is pertaining to 'traditional' blackberries, not the so-called 'primocane-bearing' hybrids known as 'Prime-Jim' and 'Prime-Jan', which produce fruit on both kinds of canes. Yes, they do exist... but I don't know of many people that are growing those types-- yet.

Once this year's floricanes are done fruiting, you can/should trim them back, as you have done. The spent canes can be used to smoke meat, BTW. It gives a gentle fruity, nice wood smoke flavor to beef. Otherwise, if there is any chance that there might be a pathogen... burn them (which you are doing in the grill/smoker!)

Enjoy your berries! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here