Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bird feeder to keep birds, off cherries.

Posted by marcantonio long island ny (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 15:23

every year i get beautiful, cherries but hardly eat any because the birds pretty much wipe the tree out. they come especially when theyre ripe. i placed i fake owl in the tree but had no luck. i remember the first year i had plenty of cherries. my old neighbor had bird feeders say maybe 100 ft from my tree that year. i was thinking about putting a bird feeder on the opposite end of the yard say 75 ft away. anyone think it will help.?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bird feeder to keep birds, off cherries.

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, May 11, 14 at 15:33

No first hand experience but I'd vote no. They'll eat the bird food and then dessert, your cherries.

o

It'll just attract more birds.

o

Maybe the tree just needs to get bigger ? I remember tons of birds and tons of cherries my growing up years at grandmas. Her trees were large, but we could use ladders and I climbed waaay up. We had plenty to make pies and put up for winter.

My tree now is so old and huge, the only way I get any cherries are when the birds are kind enough to drop a few for me to pick up. I try to remember to always say thank you.

As it stands, you have nothing to loose by experimenting with adding feeders. Currently I'm mostly winning in getting the squirrels to leave my finch feeders alone by feeding them separately each morning. They have me well trained. ;)

This post was edited by plaidbird on Sun, May 11, 14 at 16:17

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here