Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flapperjules

blueberry in container fertilizing

flapperjules
11 years ago

I know I can fertilize with pine needles. Could I also fertilize with holly leaves?

THANKS!

Comments (11)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

flapperjules,
    Fertilize or mulch?

• riverman1
    11 years ago

This time of year I would apply ammonium sulfate or a quality organic fertilizer such as those made for rhododendrons and azaleas.

Good luck.

RM

• flapperjules
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess I do mean mulch. I have blueberry fertilizer from Gardens Alive which I follow the directions for its use. I guess I am thinking ahead to the fall....as I keep cleaning up holly leaves off my deck year round!

• franktank232
    11 years ago

You can buy either pellets or a water soluble fert made for acidic loving plants. It works great. I have moved all my container blueberries into soil since I was having some overwintering issues (lots of die back). We'll see how that works.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

I don't see any reason not to use the leaves,although I've never heard of them being used that way. Brady

• riverman1
    11 years ago

I think you will be happy you did Frank.......I had all mine in containers and this past winter I moved them all into the ground and they are doing great. Dig a big hole, fill with the appropriate soil and plant.....it's working so far for me.

Flapper......check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnbYI4zaR48

• capoman
    11 years ago

No need to mulch in containers if you are using a quality soilless mix such as the 5:1:1 discussed in the container forum. Container mixes are usually best using a material that is consistent all the way through.

Mulch is normally used on soil to help it retain moisture moderate temperatures, and and keep weeds down. A good soil less mix in a container should retain enough moisture as it is, and of course should already be weedless. It would not help temperature moderation much, if at all, since containers can heat up and cool due to exposure on all sides.

• rjinga
    11 years ago

I have always mulched my blueberry plants in containers with pine bark fines. It's a good way to keep moisture in so that the pots dont dry out so quickly and that is the only part of the pine tree that actually has beneficial "ingredients" that blueberries can best use (so I've been told). I had always read that pine needles wont help any/much with pH.

• capoman
    11 years ago

rjiinja: If you have to put pine bark fines on top to retain moisture, then you aren't using the correct mix. 5:1:1 mix from the container forum can be adjusted to conditions, and the 5 part is actually pine bark fines anyway. If you need more water retention then the default 5:1:1, just increase the peat component. Your soilless mix should hold enough water to not need mulch. If it does, your soil is not correct.

• riverman1
    11 years ago

This containerized plant was growing in the blueberry mix recommended by Dave Wilson on Youtube. I fertilized with a combination of organics and ammonium sulf.

{{gwi:100294}}

• flapperjules
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does anyone know if the mix recommended in the video noted above is also good for blackberry bushes in containers?!?!
    THANKS!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio