Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseymec

Is this poison oak or a berry?

Jerseymec
10 years ago

Hi.
I am not sure what this is but it has been growing in the backyard. Is this poison oak or is it a blackberry shurb? All I know is that I get all itchy when cleaning/working in this area. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments (13)

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

Its not Poison oak, berry most likely are poison Ivy if vine heart shape leafs poison Ivy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison plants

• ericwi
    10 years ago

I can see two plants in the photo. Near the bottom, is a small shrub with leaves that look like blueberry. Could be a related species. The uppermost plant, with the skinny stems, looks like blackberry. Neither plant looks like poison ivy, to me. Not sure what causes the itching-perhaps there is another plant in the area that you are allergic to.

• JoppaRich
    10 years ago

Could be a blackberry or raspberry, or any of the related non-fruiting plants.

• fireduck
    10 years ago

Very similar appearance to blackberry vines. It is not poison ivy. My blueberry (southern highbush) do not grow like that.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

If you wonder why they changed your wording from oak to ivy is that poison oak is the western version of the plant and is somewhat different but same poison.

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

Blackberry Floricanes new grow comes out from bud and bud stays on new growth until fruit comes out buds where are fruit bud all leaf in center are end leaves no buds.

• curtis
    10 years ago

First off most people, in my area at least, have been wrongly informed of what is poison ivy or poison oak. They are carefu laround harmless plants and not careful of the real thing. So I encourage you to learn for sure on these. Poison Oak has berries and lots of different leaf shape possibilities, but always a group of 3. I think yours is NOT poison Oak, but the photo is small..

• prestons_garden
    10 years ago

It's not poison ivy and I will attach a document that may help you. It looks like a blackberry plant to me.

Information on poison ivy.

This post was edited by prestons_garden on Thu, May 9, 13 at 1:22

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I have acres of poison oak. Some as big as your wrist climbing 20 feet up fir trees to get the light. It is called poison oak because the leaf is very similar to the seedlings of black oak, Quercus kelloggii, which I also have lots of. Over the last twenty years on this property I have come from being so sensitive to poison oak that a doctor was needed, to only very minor spots on my arms, and am grateful. Al

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Al, I had the same good fortune of developing immunity. My family moved to CA. from Ariz when I was 11 and first couple years we almost had to move to save me from being killed by poison oak. Now I can pull it out with my bare hands and most I get is a few minor bumps.

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

I've always heard, "Leaves of three let them be...." but have never encountered anything like it before. I found this site that gives a lot more detail. Guess I will have to pay more attention in the future.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaves of Three, Let Them Be: If Only It Were That Easy

• pinc06
    10 years ago

Milehighgirl, that link didn't work for me. It looks like something I should read.

I've noticed that most folks my age or older have been taught that a common climbing plant called Virginia Creeper is poison oak. It starts out small with just 3 leaves in each cluster but gains more leaves as the vine gets bigger. When it gets big each has about 7 or 8 leaves per cluster. It is a very fast growing vine that turns a lovely shade of scarlet in autumn. And yes some folks are sensitive to the plant and can get some itchy bumps from it, but not like the real stuff. Actually mature poke weed can also cause itchy in some folks. Lots of plants out there can, but my pet peeve is that virginia creeper everyone is convinced in poison oak. Like cckw says, they pay no attention to the actual stuff at all.

Pam in cinti

• Jerseymec
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for all the responses. Hopefully its a berry type plant. I'll keep you posted if I see any fruits or flowers on it.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County