Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Pruning Delima

Posted by Puggylover75 9B (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 15:28

This is a Desert Gold Peach. Unknown root stock. This tree has gone crazy growing this year so far.

Still has some fruit on it but should all be gone in about a week.

My question is do I prune it now or wait a little longer? It's permanent height will be around 8 or 9 feet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Gold Peach

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Pruning Delima

Can't get to photo, but I like to train a peach to a central leader and than change it to open center 2 or 3 years after planting. You should prune anything that excessively shades your permanent scaffolds. These should be 3 or 4 branches at the height that will allow you to maintain the tree where you want it. Those branches need to be well lit along their entire length to keep shoots growing along their entirety.

o

Hopefully the pic made it this time

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Gold Peaach

o

These pictures are after I pruned. I hope I did it correctly. Get really nervous about this part. Should I take some of the height down also? Or do I wait a little bit and summer prune in say July? Would I just shape it all to the desired height?

The tree was planted in the summer of 2010. Right now it is about 7' tall by about 8' diameter. Scaffolds start at about 15"

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is the before pic just in case.

Desert Gold Peach, Tim and I split our first peach yesterday! Just a tad too early.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Wed, May 23, 12 at 0:36

Desert Gold is one of my favorite peaches. Sadly it doesn't get much love on this message board. DG is truly special in my locale. Large, colorful, fragrant, sweet-tart, melting, and early -- what's not to like?

As for pruning, it can be hard to visualize descriptions and instructions and then apply them in the real world. There are a number of outstanding pruning videos at the Dave Wilson Nursery YouTube page. Pruning is pretty simple and nothing to get intimidated about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here