Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purplehousewy

How do I train an existing Valient grapevine over a gate arbor?

purplehouseWY
10 years ago

We purchased a home a few years ago with what I believe is a Valient grapevine that had been planted by the previous homeowner to grow over an arbor positioned over a garden gate. There were a couple of canes about 6 feet tall. I am uncertain how long ago it was planted before we moved in.

The first year I spoke to a local nursery owner as I had no experience with growing grapes. He suggested I cut it back to the base completely. So I did that and the next year I had 2 sets of vines from the base and healthy leaves etc..no fruit. The third year I wasn't paying attention and before I could get to the pruning the vine it broke dormacy and proceeded to go everywhere rambling over to a bordering fence and I had to add extra wires up the arbor so it would have something to cling onto instead of its own canes. I have one cane I think would make a great single trunk...it extends all the way up the arbor but I don't know what to do no its at the top etc.

So the vine is still just starting to bud and I want to train it properly but I cannot find any visual reference on the internet on how to train a vine on my style of arbor...not the giant pergolas I keep seeing pictures of. I am very visual and hands on...so reading print instructions I don't do well with. I will post some photos tonight of the vine and structure.

Comments (2)