Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooking Apple Cultivar Suggestions

Posted by hoosierquilt z10a/23 Vista Calif (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 15:32

I'm thinking about adding 2 apple trees to my collection. I have lots of good eating apples, but would like to add two good cooking apples to the mix. I am intrigued by Calville Blanc (Calville Blanc d'Hiver) and Belle de Boskoop, but their chill hour requirement might be a tad high for me (I'm probably not over 600 ch here). Not sure if these would cross pollinate each other, as they're about a month apart for ripening times, but they sound like they are very good apples for cooking and desserts. Any comments about these two varieties or any other suggestions for good cooking apples that might have some history behind them?

Patty S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooking Apple Cultivar Suggestions

Your Anna is one of the best cooking apples. The green apples Mutsu, and of course Granny Smith if you want an apples to stay firm which I do. Jonagold to me is one of the best. In my zone 8b I have a dwarf Jonagold setting a good amount of apples for the first time on 650 chill hours so I can't confirm the quality yet.

There are people up north that believe a good cooking apple should turn to mush so you might want to specify what you call a good cooking apple.

Have you tried canning apple pie filling? Handy to have around.

o

Thanks, Randy. I have used my Annas in pies before, and they're pretty good. No, don't want my apple to turn to mush, no so much thinking about apple sauce but more for desserts I guess. And yes, that's exactly what I want to do, can some apple pie filling for desserts. We have a very nice farm & garden supply store here as well as a garden center that carry a full array of canning supplies, so that's pretty cool. Not something I expected to see in S. Calif. beach area, lol!!

Patty S.

o

Patty, the one item you need to track down is clearjel. Even though canning is big around here I still have to mail order it. The canned apple, and I hope cherry pie filling is great to have around. I am using a quart tonight with an unexpected house guest coming an apple crisp will be perfect.

Golden Delicious is another baking great apple for pies and such.

Belle de Boskoop sure sounds good doesn't it?

Randy

o

Cleargel, okay. I'll get it ordered off of Amazon.com, then. Good to know. Excited about canning, again. I used to can with my mom way back. And yes, the Belle de Boskoop as well as the Calville Blanc sounds great. I have 17 varieties of pears, most are heirloom, so it's kind of fun to have a little piece of history on my property :-)

Patty S.

o

Patty, I wonder if we choose a ripe Anna in a different way?

I like them like the Anna apple I have pictured at the top of my blog. A nice pink blush with still a green background. In the classic sense I guess they are not ripe yet when I pick them. My Granddaughter loves them that way too.

Randy

o

Well, I think I probably pick mine a bit riper, only because I like all my fruit on the sweeter side. Not a fan of tart apples much. Now, my hubby likes them nice and tart, but her grew up back east (MA), and I think he's used to eating much more tart apples than little old Calif. me :-) And, what is your blog? Don't see a link to it.

Patty S.

o

Dummy me. Here is my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Home Orchard

o

Seems like I recall Jill Vorbeck at Applesource raving about MonArk as a good cooking apple. Never have tried that, as we alway eat them all fresh. Unusual quality for an early season(ripe mid-July here) variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here