Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries, when to cull

Posted by thepodpiper 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 15:34

How do you know when there are to many blueberries on a plant. My blues are producing like crazy this year but am hoping to get flavorful and nice size ones when ripe. I can post pics if it would be better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries, when to cull

It's just a guess. If it looks like as much fruit as leaves then I thin. If not you may be OK. But I try to thin the blossoms. That's much better IMO. So if the bloom looks really thick strip some off. Or as an alternative thin out much of the smaller wood or trim some fruit buds off the ends of smaller shoots.

Another thing I've done is once it sets as much fruit as I think it can handle, thin off all later blossoms.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 12 at 17:18

The only thinning I know about with blueberries is the thinning/pruning of shoots. I have not read about thinning blossoms or fruit directly. The fruit clusters, at least on southern highbush, seem to ripen in stages. For that reason, thinning within the clusters doesn't make much sense if you've thinned the shoots correctly.

Here is a link that might be useful: CARE OF SOUTHERN HIGHBUSH BLUEBERRIES

o

Thanks, I think I should be OK then. I will not take any off and see what the end results are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here