Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackberry cane refruiting

Posted by CaraRose 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 15:37

I'm kind of puzzled right now with my triple crown blackberry. I bought and potted it last year, and it grew and fruited on two canes that I assumed grew from the stub of the cut floricane that was on the trimmed down plant. It also put two large canes and some laterals that didn't fruit, which I expected since they were primocanes. I moved it from the pot into the ground in fall.

I cut back one of the canes that fruited all the way, the other I left over the winter. That cane (which still had the remains of berries that didn't ripen before winter finally hit on it) started throwing out buds and flowering.

Not complaining, since I'm happy to get a few berries early, but is this strange? I thought once a cane fruited it wasn't going to fruit again the next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackberry cane refruiting

I have similar story this year with my Triple crown bushes. The canes which fruited last year and were not completely removed produced laterals with buds and will flower soon.
olga

o

I have a Triple Crown that has 5 year old canes and they still produce a lot of berries every year.

o

My Doyle blackberries do this also.
Olga

o

I wonder if it has to do with the mild winter we had here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here