Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Redcurrants broke dormancy in transit. What to do?

Posted by galiana 5s (My Page) on
Mon, May 27, 13 at 15:40

Howdy folks,

I recently got a shipment of Rovada redcurrants. When they arrived on my doorstep they had already broken dormancy and were sending out some spindly white growth. (White not as in mold, but as in deprived of light due to extended time in the box.)

I'm planting these today, or planning to. Should I trim off these white shoots before planting? They're about the length of my pinky finger, and I'm worried whether I'll impede the bush's growth if I trim them.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Redcurrants broke dormancy in transit. What to do?

• Posted by danzeb 7a long island (My Page) on
    Mon, May 27, 13 at 20:04

I wouldn't prune them. They should turn green after a few days of light. I don't know if it is necessary but I would shade them from full sun for a few days.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Mon, May 27, 13 at 22:48

Shade them,

I unintentionally let a potted white currant that was unexpectedly given to me sit in my garage for several days before planting which blanched the leaves.

When I planted it outside unprotected all of the leaves wilted then crisped.

o

I have trimmed them, and have left them on and slowly exposed to light. Both methods worked. All plants are growing fine now. This happens a lot to plants in the mail. Not a big deal. Even if you burn the leaves, the plant will recover. Plant it where you want it. If it is extremely sunny, shade it for part of the day, put a box over it, or better something to block the sun, increasing exposure with time. What would be ideal is a few days of overcast.

o

Just an update: I did as y'all said and slowly introduced the currants to the sun without doing any pruning. They've now completely greened up and are looking very happy.

Thanks folks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here