Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blueberry nhb vs shb vs rabbiteye

Posted by PersianMD2Orchard none (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 15:43

Hi guys, I've never seen a breakdown of the general fruit differences of these which may be relevant for some of us in the border climatically... zone 7a DC area can grow all 3 types just fine. I admit I am biased towards sweet-tart blueberries, instead of straight through sweet like O'Neal which annoyed me a bit.

My take based on limited experience and some reading:

Honestly--northern high bush is the best I've had. Am I naive to say that's where blueberries come from in the first place so those may have the best quality and not be sacrificing anything for climatic adaptability?

Regular ol' bluecrop is great--hasgreat sweet-tart balance.

Rabbiteye--slightly thicker skin, slightly seedier. Great soil adaptability for fruit quality sacrifice.

Southern highbush--seems to be more towards sweet flavor instead of sweet-tart balance.

Again, I actually have very little tasting experience so far. Please correct me--What do you guys think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blueberry nhb vs shb vs rabbiteye

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, May 24, 13 at 16:31

My thinking is the SHB have caught or surpassed NHB on yield and quality. But that may not be true given your taste preference. I haven't eaten nearly as much NHB as SHB and very little RE.

I think there has been more breeding effort on SHB than the other two. That would be the basis for my first statement.

I think it's pretty likely NHB and SHB have better fruit, in general, than RE.

The other factor is that they are being interbred enough that there are all shades of gray.

o
RE: blueberry nhb vs shb vs rabbiteye

Well hopefully I'll have more tastings to compare with soon and will report back comparing the general types. I have no doubt that an outlier SHB like Sweetcrisp can be outstanding--so I definitely got one of those going :).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here