Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ornamental peach tree

Posted by meljmcd 7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 15:45

can you eat the fruit on an ornamental peach tree? Ours has lots of fruit. How tall will it get? We planted last year and it's about 4 ft tall. Grew about a foot since last year. It has dark reddish/purple foliage and pretty pink blossoms

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ornamental peach tree

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sat, May 8, 10 at 11:14

As far as I know, an ornamental peach tree produces blossoms but no fruit.

What you probably have is simply a peach Red Leaf rootstock marketed as an ornamental peach tree.

I once gave a relative a peach tree that died to the roots after he planted it. It re-sprouted as a Red Leaf. The fruit is very small. I've never tasted any because his squirrels get all of it every year.

o

olpea- dont think u r right- i have a patio peach tree and it produces small inedible peaches

o

I'm not familiar with a red foliaged ornamental peach that the OP has, but my double flowering peach trees, which are pretty common, produce white fleshed peaches very late in the season, and can have quite large crops. Although the fruit can have a slight bitterness to it when not fully ripe, due to almond genetics, and they are somewhat small, they are actually pretty decent. I generally tend to not bother harvesting them because by that point in the season (late September) I'm generally sick of peaches anyway and have put up all I need.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sun, May 9, 10 at 10:47

Lycheeluva,

You're right. It looks like Bonfire is listed as an ornamental and yet produces peaches. I'm sure there are others.

I still suspect the OP's tree is a Red Leaf rootstock. They have pretty red foliage as described. Very ornamental.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here