Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mulching and weeds

Posted by wardog25 9b (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 15:51

Everywhere I read says to keep the mulch 6-12 inches from the base of the tree.

So my question is, what does everyone do for that 6-12 inches? Just let the weeds grow? I don't want to use weed killer that close to my trees. So what other options are there? Just weed it now and then? Seems like a fair bit of work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mulching and weeds

I have been mulching close to my trees for years. Just be sure it stays away from the bark -- an inch or so is enough. Taper the depth so that it goes from nothing at the soil line of the trunk to your desired depth a minimum of 6-8 inches out from the trunk. That works for me. I haven't noticed any significant difference in terms of either disease or pest issues between trees mulched this way and those not mulched.

What you DON'T want to do is pile up mulch against the trunk -- that creates a wet environment where disease organisms can grow and gives pests, both small and large (voles being "large") a place to hide.

FWIW, if you make sure the area is free of weeds, weed roots and bits that can re-grow, you surely would be safe in using a little Preen to keep weed seeds from germinating.

o
RE: mulching and weeds

I put down some sheets of newspaper that go right to the trunk and pull away the mulch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here